A hearty and satisfying vegetarian chili full of smoky flavors and sweet butternut squash – perfect for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
I could pretend that I’m sharing a chili recipe because there’s still snow on the ground and I’m rebelling against spring but truth be told: I eat chili year round. From my classic Beef Chili with Black Beans to my Sweet and Smoky Turkey Chili, you name it – I love it. In fact, whenever I make chili I freeze half for a rainy day.
Chili is one of my favorite go-to healthy meals because it is jam packed with flavor and nutrients. The power due of protein and fiber from the beans and veggies are the very reason a little goes a long way and you’ll find yourself satisfied and full after just one bowl. Of course if you have a second or third, who am I to judge?
Butternut squash is meaty and delicate all at the same time which is why I love using it to beef up this vegetarian chili. Sweet potatoes work well too if you happen to have those on hand. Like it spicy? Be sure to leave the seeds in the chipotle peppers in adobo – that is where all of the heat comes from. Feel free to get crazy and add 3 peppers instead of 2!
Don’t forget the toppings – that is my favorite part! On any given day, I’ll add diced avocado, shredded sharp cheddar or homemade baked tortilla chips. And we already know how much I love to garnish with cilantro and jalapeños….
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 14 oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups butternut squash peeled and diced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 in chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced & remove seeds to lower heat
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker and heat on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.
- Garnish with scallions, Greek yogurt, cilantro or crushed tortilla chips.
Want more delicious gluten free recipe ideas? Head on over to the Udi’s Gluten Free Community for more delicious recipes!