Snowed in? No problem. A well-stocked freezer is your answer to a fast and nutritious dinner – any night of the week. Frozen shrimp is only 60 calories per serving and a nice change of pace from the usual chicken breast. The best part? They are easy to defrost – all you do is soak them in cold water for 7-10 minutes and you are well on your way to a quick meal.
Today I’m sharing my Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry but you could also toss shrimp with with whole wheat spaghetti, spinach, garlic and a little olive oil for a quick and easy meal. Of course I also love it as prepared in my Shrimp Soba Noodles in Peanut Sauce.
I love to make a stir fry at the end of the week to clean out the refrigerator. Chop up any veggies you have on hand – peppers, onions, mushrooms, celery, green beans, asparagus, cauliflower – the options are endless. Serve with a little brown rice and scallions to round out the meal or you could toast up some nori seaweed sheets and use that in lieu of a fork.
Your chop sticks are waiting.
Asian Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 lb frozen or fresh shrimp raw in shell or peeled
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbs ginger grated
- 8 oz shitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 6 c broccoli chopped into florets
- 1/3 c chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbs soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chili garlic paste
- Whisk together egg whites and corn starch then pour over defrosted shrimp. Mix well to coat and set aside.
- Heat a large wok of deep saute pan over high heat for a couple minutes to warm up.
- Spray with non-stick spray and add shrimp.
- Toss frequently for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, add onion, salt and pepper. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute additional 30 seconds.
- Toss in mushrooms and saute 2 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then cover with tight lid to let steam for 3-4 minutes. In a small bowl, wisk soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, chili garlic paste and sesame oil.
- Add sauce to the pan along with shrimp and stir fry 3-4 minutes or until shrimp is warmed through.
- Serve with brown rice and scallions.