Asian flavors combine to make a flavorful shrimp and broccoli stir fry that’s healthy and easy to make. Prepared in under 30 minutes!
Snowed in? No problem. A well-stocked freezer is your answer to a fast and nutritious dinner – any night of the week.
Today I’m sharing my Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry but you could also toss shrimp with whole wheat spaghetti, spinach, garlic and a little olive oil for a quick and easy meal. Of course, I also love it as prepared in my Shrimp Soba Noodles in Peanut Sauce.
Frozen shrimp is only 60 calories per serving and a nice change of pace from the usual chicken breast. The best part? They are easy to defrost – all you do is soak them in cold water for 7-10 minutes and you are well on your way to a quick meal.
I love to make a stir fry at the end of the week to clean out the refrigerator. Chop up any veggies you have on hand – peppers, onions, mushrooms, celery, green beans, asparagus, cauliflower – the options are endless.
Serve with a little brown rice and scallions to round out the meal or you could toast up some nori seaweed sheets and use that in lieu of a fork.
Soy Sauce or Tamari
Toasted Sesame Oil
Absolutely! This stir-fry is a very versatile recipe and tastes great with any protein you have on hand including chicken, beef, pork, or tofu.
Check out my guide on Stocking the Pantry for Asian Cooking for more details
Your chopsticks are waiting.
Chinese Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 pound frozen or fresh shrimp raw in shell or peeled
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated
- 8 ounces shitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 6 cups broccoli chopped into florets
- 1/3 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- Whisk together egg whites and corn starch then pour over defrosted shrimp. Mix well to coat and set aside.
- Heat a large wok or deep saute pan over high heat for a couple of minutes to warm up.
- Spray with non-stick spray and add shrimp.
- Toss frequently for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, add onion, salt, and pepper. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds.
- Toss in mushrooms and saute 2 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then cover with a tight lid to let steam for 3-4 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, chili garlic paste, and sesame oil.
- Add sauce to the pan along with shrimp and stir fry 3-4 minutes or until shrimp is warmed through.
- Serve with brown rice and scallions.
Find more healthy and easy dinner recipes on my Pinterest!