A fast and easy weeknight dinner, serve this tequila lime shrimp with warm corn tortillas, over rice or tossed with pasta.
Last month I was invited to travel to Tecate, Mexico to experience Rancho La Puerta, a health and fitness spa. Located in Baja California, it is about a 45-minute drive from the San Diego airport.
Focused on wellness, exercise and nutrition, each day was filled with activities, events and meals that left you feeling happy, satisfied and rejuvenated. It was unlike any trip to Mexico I’ve ever encountered in the past.
One of the highlights of the trip was bringing along my dear friend Monique from Ambitious Kitchen. A fellow health and fitness foodie, I couldn’t have invited anyone better to join me for this experience.
During our stay we had the opportunity to attend two hands-on cooking classes at La Cocina Que Canta Cooking School located just a couple miles away from the ranch on an organic farm.
We had a chance to tour the farm and pick produce for our meal with one of the head gardeners, Salvador. I will never forget the sweet, spicy and crunchy freshly picked organic radishes he let us sample.
One of the dishes that I was in charge of was a simple yet flavorful tequila lime shrimp. The star of the dish? Pureed ancho chili peppers. It literally comes together in 20 minutes or less and is ideal for stuffing in tortillas or serving over rice or pasta.
Perfect for a girlfriends getaway or multi-generation family vacation, I can’t recommend Rancho La Puerta enough. With limited wifi access and a wide variety of fitness offerings for all levels, there is no way you won’t come home refreshed, relaxed and with a renewed sense of energy and purpose.
Of course, I must also tell you about the food. You can read more about the resort’s culinary philosophy here but it is a heavy focus on plant-based protein, eggs, seafood, fresh vegetables, homemade salsas and ancient grains (i.e. quinoa, freekeh, etc.) Did I mention the breakfast tacos and fresh guava throughout the resort? Heaven.
In the meantime, you must make this Tequila Lime Shrimp recipe to get an authentic taste of my recent trip to Mexico. it comes together in just 20 minutes and is a true testament to how delicious and easy healthy eating can be at home.
Your fork is waiting.
Authentic Tequila Lime Shrimp
- Sprinkle the shrimp evenly with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the dried chilis in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Steep chilis in the hot water until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Puree softened chilis and 1/2 cup of the steeping liquid in a food processor or blender until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil to the pan. Stir in garlic and warm until fragrant, about 15 seconds, being careful not to burn.
- Add shrimp to the pan, without over crowding, and heat for 90 seconds per side. The minute the shrimp turns pink, it is cooked so be careful not to over cook. It shouldn’t take more than 3-4 minutes total. Remove cooked shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Stir the tequila into the hot skillet and use a wooden spoon to deglaze any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the cooked shrimp along with the pureed chilis and lime juice to the pan. Bring to a simmer then reduce to low and heat for 4-5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Right before serving, finish the shrimp with butter and stir until melted through. Check for seasoning and add more salt or pepper to taste.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, rice or tossed into pasta if you wish.
Want more Healthy Mexican Eats?