How I Lost 59 Pounds (And Kept It Off) – My Personal Weight Loss Journey

Liz Before and After - The Lemon Bowl

There is a story behind every blog and today I am honored to finally share mine.  As you can imagine, there is a reason why I am so passionate about creating healthy food that is not only good for you but is also delicious. Grab a cup of coffee, get comfy and join me as I open up about the true inspiration behind every leafy green, whole grain and clove of garlic that embodies The Lemon Bowl.

Like many sedentary Americans, I spent much (all) of my early years as an overweight child. Believe it or not, we always ate healthy, homemade meals. We drank skim milk, shopped at the farmer’s market and filled our plates with bright colors and lean proteins. White bread was not an option, pancakes were made with buckwheat and our oats were steel cut. (I love you, Mom!)

Ultimately, though, if you eat more than your body needs for fuel, you will gain weight. Despite a love for softball, volleyball and skiing, my athletic ability was lacking and I often got cut from the team.  After years of dance lessons, I eventually quit performing because squeezing my body into skin-tight spandex costumes became too much for my pre-teen self to handle.

As the years went by, I gained more weight and eventually graduated from high school weighing over 220 pounds.  I had no idea how big I was until my first post-college doctors visit when I learned I had lost 23 pounds my Freshman year of college. How on earth did that happen?  One reason: I didn’t have a car and had to walk every single day. By incorporating daily movement without making any other changes, the weight fell off.

During my Junior year, I moved to London to study abroad and travel through Europe. When I returned home 5 months later, I had ballooned up to a size 20 and was stuck wearing Men’s Gap pants size 42.

Despite being overweight, I graduated from college and began a successful career in hotel sales. In 2001, I met my husband and we got married in 2005.  With a great career, plenty of friends and a wonderful love life, I was fat and happy.

My weight loss journey didn’t officially begin until 6 months after my wedding, at the age of 25. I saw a photo taken of me from a friend’s wedding and couldn’t believe what I saw.  The photo was worth 1,000 words and within minutes I did an online search and discovered MyFoodDiary, a website that helps you track calories and exercise to gradually lose about one pound/week.

In addition to weighing, measuring and tracking food calories for the first time, I also began exercising regularly.  Just 30 minutes, 3 times a week is exactly what sold me on joining Curves. Within 18 months, I lost 35 pounds and was just 5 pounds away from my goal weight when I moved back home to Michigan with my husband to buy a house and start a new job.

Unfortunately, as anyone with in sales can attest, my life was soon filled with client dinners, food-filled trade shows and networking cocktail receptions. Instead of nipping the problem in the bud, I kept living my life and ignoring the scale. Within a year of moving home, I had gained back half the weight and my brand new work wardrobe no longer fit.

In 2008, I was laid off from my dream job.  All of those horrible things you hear and read about losing your job are true. It was one of the lowest points in my life. The good news? I joined a gym to help cope and fell in love with group exercise. Each week I took Kickboxing, Boot Camp, Yoga and Spin.  The bad news? I was making lots of friends and taking advantage of my “pre-baby” life with too many nights of drinking and 2am snacking. Lesson learned: it doesn’t matter how many hours a week you exercise if you spend your weekend drinking vodka sodas.

Fast forward to 2010 – we are expecting a baby! For the first time in my life, I had to be comfortable watching the scale creep up each week. In 2011, we had our beautiful baby boy and I was officially over 200 pounds again (after he was born.) Something had to give.

You know the phrase “If it worked once, it will work again.”? Two weeks after my son was born, I re-committed to logging and tracking my calories on MyFoodDiary. Six weeks after giving birth (with my OB’s blessing), I was back at the gym.  Was I taking boot camp classes? No. But I was moving again and learning to be more mindful of what I put in my mouth.

Slowly but surely, the weight came off. The feeling of accomplishment and setting a good example for my son was so motivating that I was able to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight just six months after he was born. Riding the wave, I decided to keep going and I am proud to say that I am now 20 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. (And yes, I’m still 5 pounds away from the ever-ellusive goal weight.)

The icing on the cake? On January 2nd, 2013, MyFoodDiary featured my official Weight Loss Success Story on the front page of their website. In my interview, I answer questions such as “What has been your biggest challenge along the way and how did you overcome it?” and “What has been your greatest reward of weight loss?”  After reading so many success stories over the years, it is very surreal to be on the other end.

In an effort to pay it forward, I am thrilled to announce Healthy Habits, a brand new section of The Lemon Bowl focused on inspiring others to live a more healthy, happy and balanced life.  Each week, I will feature new content ranging from video demonstrations, interviews with Registered Dietitians, healthy living tips, meal planning guidance and more.

What would you like to see in Healthy Habits? What would you ask an RD if you had the chance? What are your biggest challenges when it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle? I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for reading my personal weight loss journey.  In my next post, I will share more specific tips and advice on how to overcome weight loss hurdles and every day struggles when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle.

As always, thank you for being here. It is an honor and a joy to interact with all of you every day.

xoxo,
Liz

Comments

Congratulations on such an incredible achievement! Thank you so much for sharing your story and I look forward to all the inspiration that I’m sure the new section of your site will bring : )

Thank you for sharing your story! Congratulations. It feels SO good to be healthy. After a significant weight loss, I’ve allowed a bunch of weight to creep back on… and am now back on track toward healthy. Looking so forward to being a regular reader in 2013!!!

Liz, it was the being mindful of what I put in my mouth and learning to exercise despite the size I was (also a 60 lb weight loss girl) that made me as grateful as clearly you are. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Totally extraordinary.

Congrats on moving that scale down!! I know others will be inspired by this, as I am!!
    Thank you for sharing your story! It’s amazing what a little movement and some lifestyle changes can result in. You look amazing.

You have been such an inspiration to me, Aggie so I’m happy to return the favor. You’re right- it’s as simple as movement and a few every day lifestyle changes. Thanks for your love and support!!

Thank you Dara! I have always been inspired by your honest posts about your weight loss journey and felt it was the right time to share mine. I hope to pay it forward somehow. Thanks for your support, as always.

Congratulations, and may I say you look fabulous! Having dealt with similar struggles for years ( and just this past year fully committed to a lifestyle change and lost 35+ lbs) I can sympathize. This is a truly inspirational story, and I wish you a very happy and healthy 2013! :)

Wow Liz, I am blown away. So many congrats to you on this journey! I’m struggling with my weight too and am so happy to say you’re an inspriration!! It can be done and done right. Thanks so much for sharing your story and inspiring others :) XO! Megan

7. Yvette says

Liz, you are such an inspiration to all of us. I too am struggling and have struggled with my weight for years. I am going to follow your blog closely and see if i can gain some tips to change my eating habits.

OMG Liz!! You are SO flipping awesome I can’t even stand it! Congrats on losing the weight and keeping it off! Congrats on being featured on MyFoodDiary! AND I’m so excited for your new Healthy Habits debut!

Thanks for this post… I read every word!!!

9. Marcia says

What a great story! And the timing of me stumbling on your blog!….Yesterday I started my (hopefully last) “new year, new me” journey. After a long period of job loss = weight gain; stress of an aging/ill parent = weight gain; random stress = weight gain, I am on my new trajectory of making this year my best.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Just read your post. Loved it. Congratulations. Just wonderful.

I, myself am about 125 lbs from my goal weight and it seems very daunting to say the least. It has always been hard for me to stick to things for more than a month or so and this venture would take a year at max effort all the way through.

Now I am pregnant with our second child and am being very careful to make sure I gain the least weight possible with still staying healthy. I have been doing yoga and eating better. I have never eaten breakfast and I realize that’s a big no no in any hope of weight loss. I am trying. I need to start walking but it’s so damn cold outside lately!

Anyway, I really appreciate your story and look forward to reading more from your blog. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ash (aka ashface1980 on Instagram)

I’m so glad you told me your story, Ash. I know that goal can seem daunting but take it one day, one calorie at a time. Focus on one goal a week and build from there. If its harder to exercise, be spot on with your eating and eliminate as much processed foods as possible. Of course, consult your doctor but you know the drill – fill that baby up with whole foods and avoid the junk. Drink lots of water. When you start craving sugar, that’s a sign you’re tired – go to bed! Drink tea. :) You can do it!! Please keep me posted and congrats on baby number 2!!

Liz, That is phenomenal! Congratulations on your grit and determination that has brought you to where you stand today!
    Have been there done that, lost about 35 lbs and gained back close to a third of the pounds. This year to me it is about not just being “fit” but making it a habit, so I don’t backtrack somewhere down the line.
    Again, Thanks for sharing your story.

12. Anne says

So proud of you Liz! You look amazing slim and fab! I am glad you can help others reach their health goals. xoxoxo

13. Melinda says

Thanks for sharing your story, Liz! It’s so inspiring to read about “real” people who have had success with losing weight. I’m on a similar journey, and am happy to say I’ve lost about 25 pounds so far and can’t wait to lose more. Like you, I’ve become addicted to healthy lifestyle changes, and am so glad I did this early in my kids’ lives so they grow up learning healthy habits and don’t have to struggle the way I did (and still do) to re-learn how to live.

So proud of you – congratulations on the 25 pound loss! I’m so glad you’ve caught the healthy lifestyle bug and are now addicted! That’s definitely the trick to success. Keep me posted on your journey!!

I know that accomplishment and now need to know it again! I lost over 100 lbs 26 years ago (no doubt in part because I insulated myself from the pain of an abusive ex…amazing once I got out of that relationship how the pounds dropped off!).

Now being realistic about an injury I sustained in 2010 and how it has affected me and one way is a weight gain. Almost a year of not walking will do that to you and now that I’m finally more mobile I need to get more serious so I love, like others, seeing a real success story.

My youngest daughter has suffered for years with weighing too much. At 5′ 10″ her 30 lbs were not even that evident to others but it always made her miserable but it was a vicious cycle. Unhappy with her weight, she ate (we all know that one, right?). I’m so proud of her, she finally got serious and it was only 6 months of true dieting and she is at her perfect weight and I love seeing a different smile, a different energy, almost a different girl. So…equally proud of you Liz; I believe a ‘you go girl’ is called for!

I’m checking out MyFoodDiary; I have to make that change. My ability to exercise is limited by my injury so I’ll be exercising my mouth a lot. As in closing it. :)

Huge congrats!

Wow what an incredible story, Barbara – Thank you so much for sharing. I feel for you and your daughter on so many levels! Please do check out myfooddiary and let me know your thoughts. I am happy to help in an way!! Best wishes for a successful 2013, Barbara!

15. Angie says

Thanks for this. I have been overweight my whole life and last year I finally decided to do something about it. I have lost 37 pounds since February with calorie counting and exercise with a hope to lose the final 20-30 pounds this year.

16. Jennifer says

You are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing so much and for caring about the rest of us. I’m so proud of you!

17. MimiB says

Proud of you, Liz! Loved reading this. YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Now…if we could just get together and I could see how fab you look in person ;)

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your story. It’s so inspiring for others. I, myself, have lost 30 lbs and I know that it is a great accomplishment. Great job! =)

Wow, girl, just wow! You have such an amazing and inspirational story! I am so happy to have “bumped into you” via Instagram :) I have no doubt in my mind that you will continue to achieve success and create deliciously healthy recipes that will inspire others to follow your lead!

WOW! You look amazing! What an inspiration! I have a few friends that have a similar story but not a similar ending. I cannot wait to share your story with them to keep them on top of their goals! You’re a true testament!

Karen – Thank you so much for your kind words. Please pass it along – the entire reason I decided to be so open is because I think it will help others. Happy New Year!!

Thank you so much for the support, Julie. I didn’t realize how hard it would be to get so personal but I really think it’s important to get real and honest, especially when it comes to something as personal as weight loss. Again – thank you for the love and support! xo

Liz I had no idea! You are a true inspiration!! You were beautiful in both pictures but your confidence is pouring out in the second picture. I am so proud of you!

Thank you for sharing your story! I found you via Sandy at Reluctant Entertainer. I can’t wait to browse your blog. I have 40-50 stubborn pounds…of course me not being very motivated to exercise doesn’t help. I’m inspired by your story.

23. Sherry says

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m in the mood to get some weight off. Last year I lost 20 pounds through dogged determination! I’ve got to do it again! Trouble is, I’m too good at cooking! I’m too good at eating! I’m too good at sedentary activities! So that is a combination to overcome! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I am looking forward to getting something done again. I have really liked your approach with food.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing sucha personal journey with all of us! Sometimes I think we all doubt the power of human willpower and determination. A story like yours is so inspiring. Time to get off the couch and get moving again!

What a wonderful story Liz and thank you so much for sharing it with others who may be struggling with their weight. Kudos to you for sticking with healthy eating and exercise, and I’m looking forward to your Healthy Habit posts, along with your always delicious recipes in the new year. Happy, happy 2013 to you!!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate your support friend!! I hope you like Healthy Habits and I also hope you’ll let me feature you. :) xo

Thank you so much Joanne! I totally agree with you on calorie counting. It’s amazing how quickly tastes, bites and licks adds up otherwise!! :) Thanks again for reading. :)

Your story brings me to tears. I am so touched by your hard work and what an inspiration you are!! Thank you for sharing so openly and honestly!

Thank you so much for reading, Amanda! It was not easy to publish but if it helps encourage or inspire just one person, it will be worth it.

27. Liz O. says

Hi Liz,
    I found your web site from Monique at Ambitious Kitchen and I’m so glad I did! It seems we have a lot in common. I’m Liz and I too lost 60 lbs 3 years ago and have kept it off. I live in California but my heart is in Michigan. My family has a cottage on Elk Lake, which is just outside of Traverse City. It’s where I recharge my batteries every year. Thanks for sharing your inspiring journey, it’s what I needed to read right now. After the holidays I got a little off track and it’s encouraging to see that the ups and downs are all part of the journey. In fact, I’m heading out for a run right now :-) I love the Healthy Habits section (great idea!) and I look forward to trying your recipes too!

Oh my goodness I’m so glad you introduced yourself, Liz!! Great name. ;-) Congratulations on your weight loss success!!! That is incredibly inspiring. I love that you are a Michigan girl at heart as well!! Isn’t Northern Michigan the best kept secret? Thank you again and keep in touch!

28. Rhonda Doan says

Wow I just read this. You are truly an inspiration. Although I’d like to loose about 10lbs or more. I want to get healthier and fit. I want to be a good example for not only my kids but my mom who is struggling with her diabetes. Your story has really inspired me. Thank you for sharing. I’m committed to changing things in my own home for my kids and husband & I.

29. mindy says

Hi Liz.
    Today was hard. I think I’ve finally hit rock bottom. My 14 year old daughter told me she was embarrassed by my weight. I weighed in at 257. I truly hope that logging on and listening to all the advise and hearing others stories will help.
    Thank you for your courage to come forth and share your story. I hope it helps change mine.
    Mindy.

Mindy – The good news about hitting rock bottom is that it’s only going to get better from here on out! Best wishes on your journey and keep me posted on your progress!

30. Nancy says

Great blog Liz! I really enjoyed your story, because not only was I compelled to read your story, but it was so well written (and we all know the ‘font’ has a lot to do with that), but it was interesting and easy to read all the way to the end without getting bored or wanting to just move on.
    I know this is not the ‘typical’ comment, but I think it’s worth noting to you!!

Best of luck to you. You look HAPPY!!
    N.

Wow Nancy thank you so much for the kind words- it truly means the world to me. Please keep in touch and let me know what posts you enjoy!

31. Carla Haddock says

Congratulations! Just came across your site on Pinterest. Today one of your recipes made a 5 star dinner (hubby approved). I am incredibly inspired by your story and can not wait to share my success with you. Today I feel like you did when you saw that photo. Something has to give and this is exactly what I needed to see today – the day I will look back on as my pivotal moment. Thank you!

Thank you for saying hi, Carla! Your comment is incredibly touching – thank you! Please keep me posted of your journey. I wish you all the best!

32. Amy says

I’m so glad I found this post today! I love all your recipes on Pinterest and finally I made it over to your blog and instagram. After over 20 years of marriage and four kids, I’ve struggled as an adult with weight. I always feel so overwhelmed with the numbers! I love your opening quote and feel that fear of failure gets me every time! I love to cook and am inspired by the emphasis on flavor and color in your recipes. Thanks for the motivating words! I can do this! :)

Thank you so much for your kind and heart felt note, Amy. Your comment has truly made my day! I’m so glad the post has inspired you and I hope my recipes give you the push to get excited about creating healthy and delicious foods for your family!! Keep me posted on your progress!

Wow! Such an amazing and inspiring story-I literally got goosebumps reading it, it hit so close to home! I feel like I am just starting this journey and really excited to read all your amazing recipes.

Thank you so much for your kind words- I’m so glad you could relate to my story!! That’s exactly why I wanted to share it. Good luck on your journey and please keep me posted on your progress!

Thank You for taking the time to reply, truly made my day, and just pushes me to actually go to the gym and continue tracking my food :) Thanks again for the amazing post and sharing your journey!

34. Paullette says

Your story is so inspiring. I am also on a weight loss journey, no diet just eating healthy and loving myself. Wishing you the best and may God bless you!

35. Emily says

WHOA. So, we’re not the same person, right?! Haha! I also grew up in Michigan, always overweight…despite graham crackers being the least healthy thing in our home! I tried a variety of sports but was always generally out of shape and so discouraged/embarassed (for me it was tiny tennis uniforms…yikes!) Then I went off to MSU and lost over 20 pounds just by walking around that giant campus :) More recently, I got married to a foodie and moved to the city, where I eat a LOT, drink a little, and exercise none, and am now back to where I used to be. Your story really resonated with me. I’m inspired to work towards healthy goals again! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the world :)

Wow what a small world!! I’m so glad you found my story. I can’t believe our similarities!!!! Please keep me posted as you reach your goals!!

36. Kristen says

Wow! Inspirational story! I happened upon your blog from Pinterest. Small world…I live in Grand Rapids too! I lost 25 pounds 2 years ago and have kept it off with new eating habits and I am a runner (used to hate running)! Look forward to more of your posts!

Oh my goodness I’m so glad you said hi!!! What a small world – congrats on your weight loss as well!!! Keeping it off is a major feat – kudos to you!!! Keep in touch. :)

Liz, I am so glad that I read this today. I’ve been a fan of your blog for a while now because I love your healthy, sensible approach to life (and hello, everything is delicious here), but for some reason, I hadn’t checked out this particular page. You are an inspiration, my friend. What I love most is how reasonable, how realistic your outlook was and is about weight loss and maintenance. Lots of love and admiration for you :)

Andie

Andie – Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comment! It truly made my day. I really do try to find a health balance in all things. Extremes are tempting but I don’t think they are the key to long term success (or happiness!) Thank you again for your kind words – it really means a lot. :)

Hi Liz, I recently found your site and just read your story – very inspirational. I shared my own weight loss journey a few months ago and had no idea how emotional and naked it would feel to share it with the world. It was especially odd – and painful – that some people (like my mother-in-law and first cousins) never said a word to me about it, though I knew they read it. It makes me feel good about sharing my story and helping others every day when I find good people like you out there doing the same thing. Thank you for sharing yourself so openly! Orna (www.ornabakes.com)

Thank you so much for your nice words Orna. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story. Congratulations on your success as well!

39. Susan says

As one who has struggled with her weight ever since she left for college (my mother tightly controlled everything I ate until then), I applaud your efforts to keep your weight under control. My husband and I have been on an eating plan for almost two years, which has really helped us with our weight. My biggest challenge is still the emotional things that make me want to overeat. I’ve been through a lot of therapy and have resolved a lot of those issues, but serious stress still gets me. Last night I had a little binge (no that’s not an oxymoron, the binge was about my emotional state and eating more than I should, but not stuffing myself) for the first time since we started on our plan. The good part is having knowledge about how to eat and what to eat, and the fact that if I mess up, I can immediately go back to doing it right. I really appreciate your willingness to pay it forward. Another lesson I’ve learned is that when you help others you help yourself. I just signed up to receive your blog posts yesterday and am really looking forward to seeing what you share.

40. Corry Oosterhouse says

What a great story, Liz!!! Thanks for sharing it!! I think I told you before that I lost 35+lbs. with Weight Watchers and kept it off for 13 years! Nothing feels so good than to be healthy!! In 2008 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma, had chemo and radiation and now have been in remission for 5 years! I thank God for restoring me to health; and I also credit my healthy lifestyle with WW for getting me through it! It would have so much more difficult to battle my cancer at my former weight!! Thank you for your amazing blog and wonderful, healthy recipes!!

Oh my goodness your story is so inspiring Corry!! What a journey you’ve been through. I bet all of those healthy items in your garden help your healing.

41. Linda J says

I’ve been reading your blog and website for a few weeks now; I feel somehow like I’ve known you forever. I lost about 40 lbs last year and have another 20 to go to feel comfortable. Instead of going in that direction, I’ve put back on around 10. I’ve been looking to your blog for inspiration and recipes — thank you for sharing your journey and helping others like me.

Linda

Thank you so much for your nice words Linda. Congratulations on 40 pounds! That is an incredible accomplishment. I have no doubt you’ll reach your final goals. Keep me posted on your progress and let me know if you try any recipes!

42. Mel says

Wow that’s an amazing story! You inspire all of us who want to loose weight. Weather it’s teens or adults. Way to go!

43. Bridget Bradbury says

What a great story, what a great website. Why haven’t I found you sooner?! It’s amazing what a Google search for bean salad can turn up! It’s like reading about me only I haven’t experienced your success – yet. Never say never.

44. Jessica says

Hi Liz,

I am not sure I found The Lemon Bowl a few days ago, but I am so glad I did — it has quickly become a favorite blog of mine. Now, after reading your story, I am even more of a fan!

I am 26 years old and have battled the bulge my whole life. I stepped on the scale this morning and am heavier than I have ever been. Not only am I devastated but I am motivated. Something has to give. I want to be healthy. I want to look good and feel good. I know life is not supposed to be lived like this – uncomfortable, unhealthy and in pain.

Thank you so much for sharing your story…its so inspiring and helpful to see someone real share their struggle. I plan on visiting your blog often and using your recipes even more!

Hi Jessica – Thank you so much for writing and sharing your story. Your words mean so much to me! The fact that you’ve said it out loud is reason for me to believe you will absolutely make positive changes in your life. Just take it one day at a time. Make small changes, day in and day out. Don’t get too caught up in the big picture. You can do it!!! Please keep me posted!

• Jessica says

Thanks, Liz! I will try and remember your advice — especially about not getting caught up in the big picture. :)

Have a great day!

45. Jule says

Great story Liz! It’s an inspiration to hear how you’ve never given up. You always came back to keep trying. I am going to be your newest follower to TheLemonBowl and Healthy Habits. I seriously need to drop about 70-80 pounds. Friday I booked a consult appointment and I am going to Curves to join the Complete program and get to exercising. I eat good, and I’m even a vegetarian! I just don’t come close to moving enough. I sit at my job all day and when I get home I sit some more! I hope once I start moving I’ll feel like keeping it up. I see where your on MyFoodDiary. I do the same type of logging for food and nutrition and soon my exercise on MyFitnessPal. Do you know if there are any features on MyFoodDiary that have any advantages over MyFitnessPal? Good luck to you on keeping your weight off. I pray I can say the same thing in the future.

Thank you so much for your sweet words! I loved loved loved Curves- it was such an uplifting, positive environment and very welcoming. As for My Food Diary, I’ve never used My Fitness Pal so I really can’t compare!! I have heard great things about it though and I think it’s a great service, especially since it’s free. Keep me posted of your progress!