Avocado Toast with Cottage Cheese and Tomatoes is the perfect quick and easy no-cook meal – ideal for breakfast, lunch or a snack.
When the United Dairy Industry of Michigan asked me to create 3 no-cook breakfast recipes to share at the Mitten Moms conference earlier this month I wanted to include at least one savory option. Of course, I had to create a smoothie (which I will be sharing soon) and you already know about those creamy and delicious Overnight Oats with Fresh Fruit and Honey but what could I share for those with a savory tooth without the ability to cook an egg or fry a slice of bacon?
Avocado toast to the rescue! No lie: I probably eat avocado toast once or twice a week. I love spreading it on toast with a sprinkle of sea salt and cilantro sprigs or in a simple avocado egg sandwich.
To make this a fast and easy recipe, I decided to incorporate cottage cheese which wouldn’t require turning on the stove or oven. Cottage cheese not only adds great flavor and texture but it turns a snack into a complete meal by adding protein, calcium and 7 other vitamins and nutrients. The bottom line? These toasts will leave you satisfied and won’t have you searching your purse for a Twix bar an hour later.
No fork required.
- 8 slices hearty, whole grain bread
- 2 cups cottage cheese – low fat
- 1 ripe California avocado – sliced
- 1 tomato – sliced
- salt and freshly cracked pepper – to taste
- Lay bread slices out on a large cutting board and top each one with ¼ cup of cottage cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top cottage cheese with avocado and tomato slices then season with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cut bread slices in half and serve.
Want more delicious California Avocado recipes? Link up, share and explore more ideas with Cookin’ Canuck!