My September 11th Story: In Loving Memory of Lisa Frost

My September 11th StoryOn September 11th, 2001, I was starting my senior year of college attending Boston University’s School of Hospitality Administration. It was a beautiful Tuesday morning – clear skies full of sunshine and a nice warm breeze. On my walk to Nutrition Sciences that morning I stopped at student food court to grab a Starbucks for class.

That was the last normal thing that took place on September 11th, 2001. From the minute I walked in the door, I knew something wasn’t right. Crowds and crowds of students were huddled around the television screens throughout the building. A normally loud building was suddenly silent as everyone was glued to the television.

LisaAnneFrost-MemorialWhen I whispered to someone asking what was going on all I heard was “The World Trade Towers have fallen down.” To be 100% honest: at that moment, I wasn’t even sure what they were talking about as I was more familiar with the much smaller world trade tower in Boston than the twin towers in NYC.

Class went on as normal. I remember the professor acknowledging the crisis but stating that she wanted to continue on as normal as possible. In hindsight, I’m glad she gave us the gift of a few more normal hours.

Lisa FrostThe rest of the day is a bit of a blur until I received the phone call I will never forget from my friend and fellow hospitality student, Estee. When I picked up the phone she blurted “Lisa was on the 2nd plane. Lisa was on the 2nd plane that hit the World Trade Center.”

I collapsed on my bed in my apartment located on the 17th floor of a building overlooking the Boston skyline. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Immediately I recalled the email Lisa sent me just days prior with the sentence “I will email you when I get to California on Tuesday.”

Lisa never got to California on Tuesday. Lisa’s parents never got to greet her at the airport. Lisa’s boyfriend never got to welcome her back. Lisa’s best friend never got a roommate in the apartment they had leased for the new year in San Francisco.

Lisa Frost Pin

Lisa Frost was 22 years old when she boarded the plan to move back home after graduating from Boston University with a dual major in Hospitality Administration and Communications. She was the speaker of her class and one year ahead of me. She was my mentor in every shape of the word. In fact, when I was speaker of my class the following year her parents came to show support.

Lisa embodied enthusiasm, hard work and warmth. Her smile lit up every room she entered. She was incredibly smart, hugely talented and highly motivated.

I think of Lisa all year round. She would have been in her mid-30’s by now and I know she would be doing tremendous things with her life. I miss her every day.

To read more about Lisa, here are a few obituaries:

The New York Times: Voices of 9/11Remembering Lisa Frost and On 9/11, a Father’s Reminder of His Daughter

Comments

That’s exactly what I think about all the time – what she would be doing with her life right now, how many kids she would have, etc. etc. Counting my blessings.

Liz, what a beautiful post. As we remember the tragedy of 9/11, it is through these posts that we remember the story. That the human spirit will not go quietly into the dark. I think Lisa is smiling down at you and thanking you for sharing her story and passion for life. <3

2. bonnette says

For 12 years I’ve been gripped by the individual stories of loss caused by this tragedy. I can’t wrap my head around the enormity of the collective pain. I’m so sorry this touched you so personally but thanks for sharing your story. Its how we all keep their memories alive.

Thank you for your kind words Bonnette. It is a very emotional time and writing my story helps with the pain. Thank you for reading.

Thank you for reading Megan. It is always a hard day but I feel it’s important to never forget about my friend. xo

A beautiful tribute, beautiful friend. I’m so sorry for your loss, her family’s loss, our country’s loss. I know Lisa is looking down and smiling at you every day Liz!

xo

4. Corry Oosterhouse says

I’m so sorry for your loss and that of Lisa’s family, Liz!! Thanks for telling us about her! Our prayers are with you all!! Corry

Such a beautiful post. I still cry every year and my heart still breaks remembering that horrible, horrible day. I may not have lost anyone I knew in this terrible tragedy, but I certainly will not forget 9/11 or the stories I read about that day.

Thank you so much for reading, Laura. I know it is such a hard day for so many of us but writing about her helps me keep her memory alive.

So very sad. I’m sorry for your friend and all that died that day. I think about very often with sadness. This world is in bad shape. Take care, Liz.

What a wonderful tribute to your friend, Liz. I will keep her family in my thoughts this week, as well as all the other families affected by Sep 11th. Sending big hugs.

8. Susan says

Your story brought me to tears. I don’t think I’ve known anyone before who was so directly affected by that event. My heart goes out to you and to all her other friends and family. As I have been reading this, the heavens are crying heavily for Lisa, too, even here in the usually dry desert.

9. Michal Nitzan says

So sad to read, i’m sure she was a wonderufl person and it’s very hard to think that even one person is like a whole world to another, and when we think of the huge number of victims, 3000, it’s something that we will never truely understnad. It’s always and still is looks like a strange nightmare that day to eveyone around the world..

Hugs from Israel

Thank you for this story about your friend.
    I was living in South Florida on 9/11/01, and remember everything about that day – including how beautiful the weather was.
    Have you noticed that everyone remarks first about how beautiful the weather was that day? And everyone describes the weather that day as beautiful and glorious.
    I can’t help but wonder if God created that glorious weather to welcome home all of those souls.

You’re right – everyone always talks about how beautiful the day was that Tuesday morning. When you live in Boston, beautiful September days are not taken for granted. I will never forget the weather!!

11. mary d says

God rest Lisa’s soul and God help her parents. Never to enjoy her and her future children. We must never forget how it happened and who did it & it isn’t over. not by a long shot.

Just reading this for the first time. I have no idea how I missed it last year. I am so sorry for your loss. This is devastating. I still get choked up at least once every year on this day.

I’m so sorry for your loss, your tribute brought tears to my eyes. What a good friend she had in you to remember and play tribute to her in your heart and on your page xoxo