Apple Ginger Green Smoothie & Turning Resolutions into Permanent Lifestyle Changes

This vibrant green smoothie is full of fresh flavors and has plenty of protein to give you lasting energy all day long.
Apple Ginger Green Smoothie - The Lemon BowlAs we enter the last week of January, I thought it would be a good time to discuss turning New Year’s resolutions into permanent lifestyle changes. Although I didn’t begin my weight loss journey in the month of January, I know first hand how much work and commitment it takes to live a healthier life. I also know a thing or two about turning temporary resolutions into long term lifestyle changes since I have been able to keep the weight off for over 7 years.

With the timing of my second baby occurring right before the New Year’s resolution season, I am right there with much of the world battling a weight loss journey and trying to make positive changes to live a healthier life. Here are two of my best tips for keeping it up long after January has come and gone:

Weekly Meal Planning and Cost Savings Tips - The Lemon BowlThink Ahead: Planning is vital when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. From weekly meal planning, to creating an exercise schedule to making sure you have healthy snacks on hand, you must think ahead. By taking a few moments over the weekend or at the beginning of each day to plan ahead, you will save yourself time and frustration all week long. It might seem like extra work but the more you do it, the easier and more habitual it becomes.

Falling Off Wagon - The Lemon BowlSet Backs are Part of the Plan: While it would be wonderful to exercise an hour and eat 1500 organic calories every single day, life can get in the way of even the best laid plans. Between birthdays, holidays, weddings and other special occasions, life happens. By planning for these set backs, they will become part of the plan and not an excuse to throw in the towel and give up.  The trick is to get back in the salad at your very next meal. Do not wait for Monday. Don’t even wait for the next day. Treat your next meal life Monday morning.

Apple Green Smoothie The Lemon BowlAnd now let’s talk about this gorgeous green smoothie. Isn’t the color stunning? I used a beautiful bunch of lacinato kale I had on hand as well as a good handful of parsley. If you’ve never tried parsley in a green smoothie, you must give it a shot. In addition to being full of vitamins and nutrients, it is a natural detoxifier. But really, I just add it because it adds a delicious, grassy background flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet apple and spicy ginger.

Your straw is waiting.

Apple Ginger Green Smoothie

• Serving size: 20 oz
  • Saturated fat: .4 g
  • Unsaturated fat: 1.5 g
  • Carbohydrates: 68.3 g
  • Fiber: 13.1 g
  • Protein: 17.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe type: Smoothie
This vibrant green smoothie is full of fresh flavors and has plenty of protein to give you lasting energy.
  • 2 cups kale - loosely packed, stems removed
  • 1 apple - core removed, cut in chunks
  • 2 celery stalks - quartered
  • ½ banana
  • ½ cup parsley
  • ½ cup blueberries
  • 1 inch piece ginger root - quartered
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 scoop protein powder
  • 1 cup water or lemon juice
  • Ice to taste
  1. Place all ingredients except for the ice in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Add ice to taste and pulse until creamy and smooth.

Comments

Hello my full days worth of veggies in a delicious, drinkable form! This smoothie sounds ahmayzing liz!
    And I love all your tips…especially on planning and planning for set backs! It’s true, life happens and you need to be able to enjoy those moments because your diet will still be there tomorrow….just as long as you get back on it, that is! :)

Very smart post… to plan for setbacks. So often we give up and revert to old bad habits after a few “bad” choices. I LOVE smoothies to detox and get back on track. After a week of celebrating… today, I’m getting back on track. Will give this smoothie a try!

You are so right! This is around the time when people start falling off their new plans because they have had a mess up, or a bad day! It is okay! Everyone does! I am an elite athlete, and I still have days that I do not do what i need to do, or waaayyyy over eat, or struggle for a few days! It is completely normal, but what is most important that you start today as a new day, and continue on! It is the only way to change! My setbacks have led to my best performances! Thanks for the inspiring post :)

It’s always a challenge getting back on track and staying on track after the holidays. I’m doing the 30-day squat, plank and sit-up challenge which is helping me keep track of what my goals are. There are definitely days I don’t get around to it, but I’m chugging along. Love how gorgeously green your smoothie is Liz! Pinning!

Good for you with the exercise challenges Jeanette!! I’ve felt so much happier – mentally and physically – now that I’m back in the gym post-baby. It’s definitely not always easy though.

That smoothie looks so delicious! I like that you point out to plan for the setbacks. So many times, I’ve blown a program because I don’t factor in set backs, or I’ll do EXACTLY what you said and tell myself “I’ll try again tomorrow” instead of acknowledging my slip up and getting back my focus immediately. Thanks for the reminders!

I just love this smoothie. I use spinach in smoothies but haven’t tried kale. It is now on my list. And parsley?! I love it. Such a healthy smoothie and great tips for making lifestyle changes!

These are AWESOME tips!! Anyone can diet for a month, but the people who stay healthy for LIFE are truly dedicated. Love the green hue in this smoothie…it’s so vibrant you can almost SEE how health-full it is!

Great tips! I’m guilty of falling off the wagon, and staying off after that one mistake. It’s so important to know that one slip up isn’t going to mess you up in the long run!

I always do the same smoothie of blueberries, almond milk protein powder and that’s it– so boring! Love all the flavors in your version!

9. Sarah Liz says

I’m so glad I stumbled on this website. There are so many and this one seems to fit my needs exactly. I am a mother of two trying to get fit and lose weight while juggling a full-time job. As well, my husband just went back to work full time so we are adjusting to not having one parent work from home and be much more available. So, meal planning and making those meals healthy ones are my main concerns. I like your take on “healthy” too, as of course that varies quite a bit. I’m excited try these recipes. I’m going to try the coconut curry slow cooker chicken one first.

Thanks for the recipe! Today I made one with spinach, blueberries and bananas. Heading to the grocery store now and planning on getting ingredients to try out this delicious concoction. Also found two more recipes I’m excited to try, one with chard and one with Kale.