This thick and creamy breakfast smoothie recipe is made with ripe bananas, juicy apples and warm cinnamon. It’s the ultimate healthy meal or snack for on-the-go!
If you’ve been following my recipes for a while, you know how much I LOVE smoothies. They are so versatile and the options are endless when it comes to blending your favorite ingredients for a nutritious breakfast, snack or meal replacement.
As the fall season approaches, I was recently inspired to create this apple cinnamon smoothie. The best part is it’s kid-approved! Learn what the ingredients are and why you can feel good about downing this delicious smoothie.
- Apple: Juicy, crisp apples add the right amount of sweetness. In the spirit of the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” the star fruit of this smoothie supports a healthy immune system. You’ll need to core and cut the apples into large chunks.
- Banana: Typically a smoothie essential, bananas serve as a great thickener and are chock full of important nutrients. Great for using up frozen bananas stashed in the freezer.
- Yogurt: Serves as the base of the smoothie and like banana, is a great thickener. Packed with calcium, protein and Vitamin D, I recommend vanilla whole milk yogurt for added flavor or opt for any yogurt you wish!
- Cinnamon: Sweet and woody with a warm citrusy note, cinnamon is known for its health benefits and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances the other flavors in this tasty smoothie and adds a subtle floral aroma.
- Flaxseed meal: Rich in protein, fiber and Omega-3’s, flaxseed meal is full of health benefits. It’s one of the most powerful plants and easy additions for smoothies.
- Water and ice: Controls the serving size amount and thickness of your smoothie based on how much ice and water you add.
How to Make an Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
To get started, first, core and cut the apple into large chunks. Take a chef’s knife and slice the apple in half. Then, cut each half in two vertically. Set each apple piece on the cutting board and slice the core off at an angle.
Second, add the apple chunks and cinnamon to the blender. I like to use a high-speed blender, like this BlendTec pictured, because I can achieve a perfectly blended smoothie every time.
Third, add flaxseed meal to the mixture. As I shared above, flaxseed is packed with nutrients and you’ll reap the benefits of even two tablespoons in this smoothie.
Fourth, add vanilla extract. It’s true: A little bit of vanilla really does make a difference in any recipe! The best part is it can last in your kitchen cabinet for a while before you have to purchase another one at the store (or on Amazon!).
Fifth, add the rest of your ingredients, including banana, yogurt, water and ice. (Pro tip: Add more ice to reach a thicker consistency or more water if the mixture is too thick!)
Next, pulse all of the ingredients together in a high-speed blender until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Finally, pour your tasty apple cinnamon smoothie to serve. This recipe makes two servings, but depending on glass size and preferred thickness, you can make enough to enjoy with your family or kids.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best way to meal prep smoothies for the week?
Check out my tips and favorite hack here: make-ahead smoothie freezer bags
Can you make this apple cinnamon smoothie the night before?
Of course! You can choose to prep all of the ingredients and blend in the morning, or make it ahead of time to grab and go.
What is the best type of apple variety to use for this smoothie?
Any apple variety works but we love using Gala, Fuji, McIntosh or Golden Delicious.
Did you make this recipe? If so, tag @TheLemonBowl on Instagram to be featured! Also, you might know how much I love smoothies, and I’ve got plenty more smoothie recipes for you to check out!
- Orange Carrot Smoothie
- Vegan Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Blueberry Cinnamon Smoothie
- Apple Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Cucumber Apple Green Smoothie
- Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes
Cheers! Your straw is waiting.
Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. Add more ice to reach a thicker consistency or more water if the mixture is too thick. Pour between two glasses to serve.