Cauliflower has never tasted so good! Your family will love this fragrant and addictive Curried Roasted Cauliflower with Coconut Oil.
Cauliflower season has arrived and as usual, I find myself unable to resist the nutritional powerhouse whenever I pass it at my farmers market! This time of year we often see endless varieties and colors of of the cauliflower including purple, green, yellow and of course white.
We ate roasted cauliflower all the time growing up, often as an alternative to roasted potatoes or French fries. My mom would dry roast them without any fat or oil and they would caramelize and turn sweet in the hot oven. Admittedly, we would dip them in ketchup. Hey, it was the 80’s after all.
Now that the 80’s are long gone and the fat free craze has gone to the wayside, I’m here to say that fat is our friend. In fact, you need fat to absorb all of the vitamins and nutrients found in vegetables. Instead of the usual olive oil or sesame oil, this time I decided to toss the cauliflower in melted coconut oil and some of my favorite Indian spices before tossing them in a 450 degree oven.
The end result was out of this world good. I’ve never seen my husband eat cauliflower before with so much enthusiasm. My 2 year old loved it so much he was clearing our plates once he finished his own.
Picky Eater PSA: If you think you have picky eaters, I urge you to try preparing vegetables with a bit more thought than simply throwing them in the steamer basket. Case in point: the video above shows my 8 month old’s reaction to his first bite of Lebanese Stuffed Kousa packed with garlic in a tomato mint broth. Don’t be afraid of spices like curry, cumin, garlic, cinnamon and more.
When in doubt, you’ll always get more flavor from grilling, roasting or broiling than steaming or boiling.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 head cauliflower - step removed, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil - melted
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- fresh cilantro - garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil with spices (curry powder through cayenne.)
- Add cauliflower to the bowl and toss with coconut oil and spices until florets are evenly coated.
- Spread cauliflower in an even layer on a large baking sheet and roast until lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with freshly minced cilantro.