This fast and flavorful Asian noodle soup recipe is made with chicken wontons, shrimp and vermicelli rice noodles.
I would be lying if I said I only crave soup during the cold winter months because truth be told, I make and eat soup all year round. Especially ethnic soups like Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hominy, Vietnamese Shrimp Pho and my mom’s famous Lebanese Lemony Chicken Soup with Spinach.
Which is the perfect tie-in to Week 2 of the Healthy New Year 6-Week Challenge because this week I am challenging all of you to “Go Ethnic!” and breakout of your spice rut in the kitchen! To help, Dara and I have partnered with Gourmet Garden who have created this Flavor Pairing Guide to inspire you at meal time.
Personally, I’m a huge fan of their fresh ginger, chili paste and garlic tubes which make putting together an Asian-inspired meal a breeze. As a bonus, you avoid food waste because the refrigerated tubes keep herbs fresher, longer. If you’ve ever reached in your fridge for ginger to find a dried out stick, you’ll know how exciting this is.
If you love wonton soup but have never tried making it at home, I’m here to tell you that this soup comes together in 10 minutes or less. Full of fresh ginger, toasted sesame oil and plenty of plump shrimp and wontons, it is the ultimate meal-in-a-bowl.
Are you ready to commit to a healthier lifestyle in just 6 weeks? Then head on over to our Healthy New Year 6-Week Challenge Facebook page today and join in on the fun! And don’t forget to tag myself (@TheLemonBowl) and Dara(@CookinCanuck) on social media along with #HealthyNewYear so we can rally behind you!
Your soup spoon is waiting.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Gourmet Garden chili pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons Gourmet Garden ginger paste
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 16 fresh or frozen shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 32 frozen dumplings (such as chicken cilantro sold at Costco and Trader Joe's)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces rice noodles - prepared according to package instructions
- hoisin sauce, sriracha, sliced onion, cilantro and jalapeno slices - optional garnish
- Heat sesame oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in chili pepper, garlic and ginger paste and heat for 30 seconds allowing flavors to develop.
- Pour in chicken broth, soy sauce and rice vinegar then bring pot to a boil by increasing heat to high.
- Add shrimp and wontons to the pot and bring back to a low boil then reduce heat to low and cook for 3 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and add salt or pepper to taste.
- Divide cooked rice noodles between four bowls and ladle shrimp and wonton soup mixture on top.
- Garnish with cilantro, sliced onion, jalapeno slices, hoisin and sriracha if you wish.
Disclosure: We are honored to have Gourmet Garden as a sponsor of this week’s #HealthyNewYear challenge. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more delicious Soups, check out Pinterest!