This 10-minute Asian chicken soup with cabbage recipe is full of classic flavors like fresh ginger and toasted sesame oil. No noodles required!
At least two or three days a week, soup is my go-to lunch. Easy, versatile, and nutritious, soups can be a great dinner that then feeds you the rest of the week. This Asian Chicken Soup with Cabbage recipe is a dish I make frequently. Inspired by the great flavors of Asian cuisine, I like to use shredded cabbage instead of noodles to keep the dish low carb.
- Sesame oil: Adds a lovely toasted, nutty flavor to the aromatics as they cook to start the soup.
- Ginger: A little spicy, zingy, and a classic flavor in Asian cuisine. I love to use fresh ginger, but ginger paste would work as well.
- Garlic: Nutty, pungent, and aromatic that sweetens as it cooks.
- Chicken broth: A flavorful base for the soup, homemade or store bought work great.
- Soy sauce: Another classic flavor in Asian cuisine, it adds great umami to the soup.
- Rice vinegar: A little bit sweeter and milder than white vinegar, it adds another level of flavor and some needed acidity to the dish.
- Hoisin sauce: Adds some sweet and salty flavor to the soup.
- Chicken: To keep things easy, I usually use rotisserie chicken that I shred, but any leftover chicken would be great!
- Cabbage: Shredded cabbage doesn’t get too soft even when cooked, so you still have some crunch and extra substance in the soup. You can use rice noodles as well if you’d like.
How to Make Asian Chicken Soup with Cabbage
Start your Asian chicken soup with cabbage by shredding your chicken breast and mincing your ginger and garlic.
Add your sesame oil to the bottom of a soup pot, and add the ginger, garlic, and chili paste. Sauté until fragrant, then pour in the chicken broth.
Next add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and hoisin sauce and whisk until all combined.
Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then add the shredded cabbage and chicken. Reduce to low and simmer until cabbage is tender and chicken is warmed through.
Serve garnished with cilantro or jalapeño, and enjoy your Asian Chicken Soup with Cabbage!
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you eat with Asian soup?
I love to serve it alongside a green salad with a ginger salad dressing.
How healthy is chicken soup?
Chicken is a great lean source of protein, add in some cabbage, or other veggies, and chicken soup is a great, balanced dish.
How long is Asian chicken soup good for?
Kept in an airtight container in the fridge, your soup will be good for up to 5 days.
More Soup Recipes
- Beef Pho Bone Broth
- Caribbean Fish Soup (Fish Tea)
- Egg Drop Soup
- Lamb Vegetable Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this soup recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Delicious and easy, my Asian chicken soup with cabbage is the quick meal you need this week.
Your spoon is waiting.
Asian Chicken Soup with Cabbage
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- chili paste (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons Natural Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast (shredded, such as rotisserie)
- 2 cups cabbage (shredded )
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- cilantro, jalapeno slices (optional garnish)
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat in a stockpot. Add ginger, garlic and chili paste and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and hoisin sauce. Whisk to combine then increase heat to high.
- Bring the pot to a boil then add in shredded chicken breast and cabbage. Reduce to low and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro or jalapeño slices to serve.