This protein-packed bison and bean chili recipe is bursting with sweet and smoky flavors.
This week is all about trying a new lean protein source at dinner which is why I’m thrilled to share this Meaty Bison Chili. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking with chicken and ground turkey but there are many other options that are equally nutritious and flavorful.
Your spoon is waiting.
Bison and Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 sweet bell peppers (seeded and diced)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced – remove seeds to keep mild)
- 12 ounce can light beer
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 14 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese (scallions and sour cream – optional garnish)
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium-high and spray with cooking spray.
- Add bison, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne. Cook until bison is browned, stirring occasionally, 7-9 minutes.
- To the pan, add onion, garlic and peppers. Cook until vegetable are softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add beer to deglaze, scraping up brown bits on bottom of pan using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and barbecue sauce then return to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or longer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.
For more healthy and delicious Soups and Chilis check out my Pinterest page!