This protein-packed bison and bean chili recipe is bursting with sweet and smoky flavors.
This week is all about trying a new lean protein source at dinner which is why I’m thrilled to share this Meaty Bison Chili. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking with chicken and ground turkey but there are many other options that are equally nutritious and flavorful.
Your spoon is waiting.
Bison and Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 sweet bell peppers (seeded and diced)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced – remove seeds to keep mild)
- 12 ounce can light beer
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 14 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese (scallions and sour cream – optional garnish)
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium-high and spray with cooking spray.
- Add bison, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne. Cook until bison is browned, stirring occasionally, 7-9 minutes.
- To the pan, add onion, garlic and peppers. Cook until vegetable are softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add beer to deglaze, scraping up brown bits on bottom of pan using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and barbecue sauce then return to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or longer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.
For more healthy and delicious Soups and Chilis check out my Pinterest page!
BISON CHILI by Liz DellaCroce recipe ingredients notes “2 in chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced “. Is this to read 2 oz?
Apologies – it should say “2 peppers” :) Enjoy!
This looks delicious!! My hubby even asks for it sometimes! I’ll have to try this recipe though, it would be nice to do something chili.
Let me know what you think of the chili Mary!
I love Simple Truth products. It’s a bit of a drive for me to the nearest Kroger but so worth it. This chili has my name all over it!
Your boys would love it!! Aren’t Simple Truth products just the best? Hope you had a great birthday!!
I recently had bison at a dinner I attended and it was AMAZING! I can only imagine how good it will be in the chili.
Isn’t it so good? Every time I eat it I kick myself for not making it more often.
This looks so hearty and delicious!
I need all the warmth I can get right now with these freezing temps! Thanks lady!
I can practically taste this curry! The flavor of bison would add such a wonderful richness. I’m so excited about our challenge this week!
Well there’s no curry in this chili but that might not be a bad idea – hahaha!!
I use ground turkey a lot but I love bison! I’ve been picking it up a lot and it’s a great alternative to beef. Your chili looks so good!!
Thank you so much!! It’s like 11 degrees outside so I could bath in it haha!!
My family would love this- adding it to my must-try soon list!
It’s so good and great for freezing or having for lunch the next day too! Stay warm friend!
Okay, this sounds absolutely incredible!!!! I’ve never made anything with Bison, however I have had Bison sliders at a restaurant and they were to die for!!
Bison is seriously the best. It’s juicy and contains a really good meaty, beefy flavor!
Bison is basically my most favorite meat EVER! It’s so lean, protein-packed AND tasty. I’ve yet to try it in chili, and now I know that I have to try this! Pinned!
I seriously agree with you. I hope more people start trying it – I really think people will love it!