This protein-packed bison and bean chili recipe is bursting with sweet and smoky flavors.
Believe it or not, we’re already at Week 3 of the #HealthyNewYear 6-Week Challenge! In case you missed it, on Week 1 I shared my Chai Tea Smoothie Bowl to inspire our group of over 900 individuals to start their day with a protein-packed breakfast. On Week 2 we challenged everyone to get creative with ethnic flavors in the kitchen when I shared my Asian Noodle Soup with Shrimp and Wontons.
This week is all about trying a new lean protein source at dinner which is why I’m thrilled to share this Meaty Bison Chili. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking with chicken and ground turkey but there are many other options that are equally nutritious and flavorful.
Lately I am all about ground bison which tastes a lot like ground beef and can be used almost interchangably. We love using it in stuffed peppers and Dara used it recently to create a delicious Bison Shepherd’s Pie. Bison is also part of the Kroger Simple Truth line which means all items are “free of 101” meaning you can be sure it won’t contain any artificial ingredients such as aspartame, antibiotics, trans fats and more.
If you haven’t joined the Healthy New Year Six-Week Challenge, there’s no time like the present. Head on over to our Healthy New Year 6-Week Challenge Facebook page today and join the 950+ who have already committed to healthier living. And don’t forget to tag myself (@TheLemonBowl) and Dara (@CookinCanuck) on social media along with #HealthyNewYear so we can rally behind you!
In the meantime, head to your nearest Kroger and stock up on the Simple Truth products so you can make this rich and flavorful bison chili. Their black beans and canned goods were almost half what I normally pay in other stores which means I can stock up and freeze extra chili for a busy day lunch later in the month.
What is your favorite lean source of protein? I’d love to hear from you.
Your spoon is waiting.
Bison and Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 sweet bell peppers seeded and diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced – remove seeds to keep mild
- 12 ounce can light beer
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 14 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese scallions and sour cream – optional garnish
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium-high and spray with cooking spray.
- Add bison, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne. Cook until bison is browned, stirring occasionally, 7-9 minutes.
- To the pan, add onion, garlic and peppers. Cook until vegetable are softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add beer to deglaze, scraping up brown bits on bottom of pan using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and barbecue sauce then return to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or longer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.
For more healthy and delicious Soups and Chilis check out my Pinterest page!