People often ask me for quick and easy recipes that can be thrown together in a flash. As a working mother of a 2 month old, I can appreciate this question more than ever before! One of my favorite, healthy short cuts is store bought rotisserie chicken. If you remove the skin and stick to white meat, it is a great source of lean protein. When I come home from the store, I like to remove the skin from the bird and shred up the meat to be used throughout the week in salads, sandwiches, soups and more.
To make a tasty taco, there is no need to buy the creepy seasoning packets at the grocery store. You are basically over paying for a packet of salt. Instead, boost flavor with dried spices like cumin and smoked paprika then finish with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro. You won’t miss the packet of orange dust, I promise.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken and Black Bean Tacos
- 1 avocado
- ¼ c low fat plain yogurt
- ½ c cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 14 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 c salsa
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 8 oz cooked chicken breast (shredded)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mash together avocado with yogurt, ¼ c of the cilantro (save remaining for garnisand lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a non-stick pan to medium high heat and coat with non-stick spray.
- Sautee onions for 5-6 minutes with a pinch of salt to bring out juices.
- Add cumin, paprika and cook another minute.
- Stir in black beans and salsa; stir. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes until fully heated.
- Heat corn tortillas in paper towel for 30 seconds to soften and top with equal parts black bean mixture.
- Top with shredded chicken and a dollop of the avocado yogurt mixture.
- Garnish with extra lime juice and cilantro.