Made with yogurt this low fat and super moist version of chocolate chip zucchini bread is easy to make. A perfect way to use up your zucchini!
Zucchini season is in full force which means I am always looking for healthy new ways to enjoy the low-calorie veggie that is cheap and growing like crazy.
While I typically use zucchini in savory recipes like my Asian scallion pancakes or zucchini noodles with sausage, I love baking quick bread that I can stash in the boys’ lunchboxes or enjoy for a quick breakfast.
If you don’t already have whole wheat pastry flour in your pantry, I encourage you to pick up a bag.
Where can I buy whole wheat pastry flour?
You can buy it online or find it at any health food store that sells Bob’s Red Mill products.
What is the difference between whole wheat and pastry flour?
Unlike its traditional whole wheat flour counterpart, whole wheat pastry flour is made from softer wheat and has less protein and less gluten.
The end result? A lighter, more fluffy end product. In addition to quick bread, it works perfectly for fluffy whole wheat pancakes, cupcakes, muffins, and cookies.
Your oven is waiting.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt (low fat)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large zucchini (grated and sqeezed dry (about 2))
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8 in bread pans with non-stick spray.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, cream together sugar, yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- With mixer turned on low, gradually add dry mixture to wet until just combined.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. (Tip: If you lightly mix the chocolate chips in a dusting of while flour, they won't sink to the bottom of the bread while baking.)
- Divide mixture evenly between both bread pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Want more delicious breakfast ideas?? Head over to my Pinterest board for recipes!