Gluten free and low carb, this pasta recipe is made with zucchini zoodles (noodles), sweet Italian sausage and hearty kale. The replacement of traditional pasta with zucchini noodles makes this entree a healthy and delicious meal.
One of my all time favorite high protein and low carbohydrate dinner recipes is zucchini noodles tossed with Italian sausage and kale. Easy to make, kid-friendly and packed with flavor, it is always a family favorite.
My kids love watching me spiralize veggies so if you want to get your kids to like zucchini noodles I highly recommend keeping them in the kitchen to watch and help you cook dinner. Another tip? If you’re skeptical about zucchini noodles try starting off by replacing half of the pasta instead of going cold turkey. Chances are, they won’t notice the zucchini noodles mixed in with the traditional spaghetti.
Of course, we can’t forget the cheese. Sharp Parmesan cheese is tossed in at the end to add tanginess and a subtle sharpness to offset the sweet sausage and tender zucchini noodles. For a little kick, sprinkle with chili flakes before serving.
Your fork is waiting.
Zucchini Noodles with Sausage and Kale
- 3 medium zucchini spiralized
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 links sweet Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 4 cup kale chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili flakes and minced basil optional garnish
- Using your favorite vegetable spiralizer, turn your zucchini into noodles; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Remove sausage from casings and heat in the pan using a wooden spoon to break down meat into bite-sized pieces. Cook until cooked through and golden brown, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add kale to the pan and sauté until it starts to wilt and turn bright green, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Toss in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and zucchini noodles to the pan and saute until zucchini is just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Right before removing from the heat, stir in the parmesan cheese and toss until melted. Check for seasoning then add salt or pepper to taste. Garnish with chili flakes and basil if you wish to serve.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl