Creamy yogurt, crunchy cucumbers and fresh herbs create this refreshing sauce perfect for grilled meats and naan bread.
When I swore off artificial sweeteners years ago, I was amazed by how many items in my “healthy refrigerator” were full of them. I had a lot of fake foods going on in there.
Plain yogurt has been a mainstay in my house and a part of my everyday diet for my entire life. It is tangy and creamy – the perfect complement to most Syrian dishes such as my Stuffed Kousa or even dolloped on top of bulgar wheat. Mixed with blueberries, walnuts, flax and a little honey – it is a delicious breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up. Plain yogurt also blends well with fruit in a healthy smoothie.
Health Benefits of Yogurt:
- Boosts immune system
- Increases fat burning after consumption aiding in weight loss
- Good source of calcium, phosphorus, iodine and riboflavin-vitamin B2
- Lowers your bad (LDL) cholesterol and raises your good (HDL) cholesterol
- May prevent Osteoporosis
- High calcium diets are linked to lower body fat
What dish is good with cucumber raita?
Cucumber Yogurt Raita
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt strained
- 1 small tomato seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup seedless cucumber diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro minced
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve. Add fresh cilantro to garnish.
Want more delicious recipes? Head over to Pinterest!
Want more refreshing and light side dish ideas? Head over to my Pinterest board!