Creamy yogurt, crunchy cucumbers and fresh herbs create this refreshing sauce perfect for grilled meats and naan bread.
When I swore off artificial sweeteners about a year and a half ago (RIP Diet Coke), I was amazed by how many items in my “healthy refrigerator” were full of them. From Sugar Free Smuckers Jam to Crystal Light, I had a lot of fake foods going on in there. Fortunately for me, I have never been one to eat Dannon Light and Fit or Yoplait Light – all of which contain artificial sweeteners.
Plain yogurt has been a mainstay in my house and a part of my every day diet for my entire life. It is tangy and creamy – the perfect complement to most Syrian dishes such as my Stuffed Kousa or even dolloped on top of bulgar wheat. Mixed with blueberries, walnuts, flax and a little honey – it is a delicious breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up. Plain yogurt also blends well with fruit in a healthy smoothie.
- Boosts immune system
- Increases fat burning after consumption aiding in weight loss
- Good source of calcium, phosphorus, iodine and riboflavin-vitamin B2
- Lowers your bad (LDL) cholesterol and raises your good (HDL) cholesterol
- May prevent Osteoporosis
- High calcium diets are linked to lower body fat
- 1 c plain lowfat yogurt strained
- 1 small tomato seeded and chopped
- 1/2 c diced seeded cucumber
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve. Add fresh cilantro to garnish.