Creamy yogurt, crunchy cucumbers and fresh herbs create this refreshing sauce perfect for grilled meats and naan bread.
When I swore off artificial sweeteners years ago, I was amazed by how many items in my “healthy refrigerator” were full of them. I had a lot of fake foods going on in there.
Plain yogurt has been a mainstay in my house and a part of my everyday diet for my entire life. It is tangy and creamy – the perfect complement to most Syrian dishes such as my Stuffed Kousa or even dolloped on top of bulgar wheat. Mixed with blueberries, walnuts, flax and a little honey – it is a delicious breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up. Plain yogurt also blends well with fruit in a healthy smoothie.
Why is yogurt good for you?
- Boosts immune system
- Increases fat burning after consumption aiding in weight loss
- Good source of calcium, phosphorus, iodine and riboflavin-vitamin B2
- Lowers your bad (LDL) cholesterol and raises your good (HDL) cholesterol
- May prevent Osteoporosis
- High calcium diets are linked to lower body fat
I encourage you to flavor plain yogurt with natural sweeteners such as fresh fruit, honey, fruit preserves or bananas. Do you love Greek yogurt? Me too! Buy any plain yogurt and place it in a mesh strainer with a sheet of paper towel. Strain in your fridge for a few hours and you’ll end up with thick and creamy yogurt, minus the hefty price tag.
Indian Raita is one of my favorite accompaniments to my Tandoori Grilled Chicken. It tastes great with anything from grilled eggplant to lamb curry. The cool, creamy yogurt dip is the perfect balance to spicy foods as well. After making this recipe, you’ll realize that I don’t eat yogurt because it’s good for me, I eat yogurt because it’s delish.
Your spoon is waiting.
Cucumber Yogurt Raita
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt strained
- 1 small tomato seeded and chopped
- ½ cup seedless cucumber diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro minced
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve. Add fresh cilantro to garnish.
Want more delicious recipes? Head over to Pinterest!
Want more refreshing and light side dish ideas? Head over to my Pinterest board!