Loaded with fresh veggies and plenty of lean protein, this is the perfect meal-in-a-bowl chicken soup that will warm the belly and soul.
Have you ever tasted a dish that feels like a hug? My lemony chicken soup with greens is literally a warm bowl of comfort. Whether you’re coming down with a cold or looking to cheer up a friend, this soup always seems to do the trick.
Loaded with nutrients and plenty of lean protein, soups are one of my favorite meals-in-a-bowl. One of the reasons I make soups regularly is because they are perfect for using up any leftover produce I have sitting in the fridge.
This particular chicken soup is a wink and a nudge to my Syrian heritage. Made with cinnamon, lemon, garlic and chickpeas, this chicken soup is naturally gluten free because there are no noodles.
How to Make Chicken Soup with Greens
Making this Chicken Soup with Greens is very easy. To start, begin chopping your mirepoix of celery, onions and carrots.
If your family loves celery like mine does, add in an extra stalk or two. Not a fan? Leave it out. There are no rules here. Have fun and play in the kitchen.
Next you’ll begin building flavor by adding garlic, lemon juice and cinnamon to the chicken broth. Cumin or cayenne would be a great addition as well!
Right before serving, towards the end of the cook time, spinach is added to the pot and cooked until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Be sure to check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Feel free to make it your own. Want to add noodles or rice? No problem – just add a little more broth. Have extra veggies in the fridge? Throw in chopped red peppers, zucchini or summer squash. Not a fan of chickpeas? Skip it. It’s good to think of all of my recipes as more of a guideline than a rule book. Just be sure to make extra…I’m sure someone you know could use a little extra comforting.
Frequently asked questions:
Absolutely! This dish would be delicious with shredded rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken thighs. If working with raw chicken, I suggest using skinless cuts. If you have skin-on, raw chicken, I suggest roasting it first then removing the skin before adding it to this soup.
This soup will taste even better as it sits so I often make it a day or two before we plan to enjoy it. This soup will last up to 5 days stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
To freeze chicken soup, bring the temperature down as quickly as possible by cooling it in an ice bath. Next, place soup in resealable plastic bags and seal tightly, removing all excess air. Freeze the bag flat so that it takes up less space in the freezer.
Your spoon is waiting.
Want more easy soup recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
Easy Chicken Soup with Greens
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 10 large sprigs parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 16 ounces spinach
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas washed and drained
- 1 lemon juiced (or more to taste)
- Saute onions, carrot and celery in a latch Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. (I use non-stick spray to save calories but olive oil works well too.) Add garlic, salt, pepper and cinnamon and continue cooking for additional minute. Stir in chicken broth and whole parsley sprigs then bring to a boil.
- Add raw, whole chicken breasts and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes at a low boil. Take one chicken breast out and cut in half to check for doneness. (Will take more or less depending on the thickness of chicken.) When chicken is cooked through, remove and place on a cutting board to cool.
- Begin shreddiing the chicken when it is cool enough to handle. Add shredded chicken back into the broth and veggies. Stir in spinach, chick peas and lemon juice. Cook until spinach is tender, about 5 additional minutes.
- Remove long parsley sprigs and garnish with fresh chopped parsley to serve.
Check out my Pinterest board for more Lebanese recipes!