These chewy and delicious flourless chocolate walnut cookies are naturally sweetened, gluten free and vegan.
Asher would be perfectly content waking up and baking a chocolate cake from scratch every morning. No, really. And the kid is GOOD!
Of course, we can’t indulge in cake every day so recently we created a healthy chocolate cookie inspired by my friend Melissa’s Flourless Chocolate Cookies. In an effort to mimic a chewy, dense brownie I decided to add walnuts for crunch and added protein.
They were a huge hit with all of the boys and truly tasted like a rich and decadent walnut chocolate brownie.
The best part? My husband didn’t even notice they were made with black beans. Boom.
No forks required.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or spray with cooking spray.
- Place black beans and cocoa powder in a high speed food processor and pulse until it reaches the consistency of sand, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add espresso, peanut butter, syrup, vanilla, baking powder and salt then puree on high speed until ingredients are evenly incorporated, about 3-5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the machine once halfway through.
- Remove the blade from food processor and scrape off any excess batter.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out batter evenly between two pans - should make two dozen cookies.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon chopped walnuts on top of each cookie and gently press down into the batter.
- Bake cookies until firm, about 12-14 minutes.
Recipe slightly adapted from My Whole Food Life.