A fast and easy side dish recipe, asparagus is coated with lemon and za’atar and grilled until slightly charred.
Syrian salad is my specialty. It has won contests (thank you Cooking Channel!) and my dinner guests always request it.
Whenever anyone tries my salad for the first time, I’m always asked: “What is the secret ingredient?” The answer is simple: za’atar.
Frequently asked questions:
What is Za’atar?
Where can you buy za’atar?
ou can find it at any Middle Eastern grocery store or online with a quick Google search for “za’atar”. Better yet, you can make it yourself with this quick recipe: Za’atar Recipe.
Another common and tasty way to eat za’atar is to mix it with a little olive oil and brush on top of pita bread. It is also delicious sprinkled on top of eggs or a platter of ripe tomatoes.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Za’atar
- 2 bunches asparagus
- ½ tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs za’atar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pre-heat grill to medium high.
- Wash and trim asparagus then place in a large zip-lock bag.
- Add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, za'atar, salt and pepper to the bag and seal tightly.
- Shake bag well to evenly coat the asparagus.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes per side and serve with extra lemon.
Want more healthy recipes? Head over to Pinterest!
2 thoughts on “Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Za’atar”
My mouth seriously waters as I stare at this, love za’atar and can’t wait to try this!
The perfect side for eve eh backyard bbq!