A fresh and flavorful slow cooker version of your favorite Asian soup: Vietnamese Chicken Pho. You’re going to love this fast and easy weeknight dinner recipe.
This recipe represents everything I love at dinnertime: slow cooker recipes, chicken recipes and Asian-inspired recipes. Vietnamese Slow Cooker Chicken Pho is the ultimate healthy weeknight dinner recipe that doesn’t taste a thing like health food.
Chicken broth is slowly steeped with cinnamon, cloves, ginger and other Asian pantry staples then poured over rice noodles and topped with shredded rotisserie chicken before serving. Of course that’s just the beginning. Anyone who has ever ordered pho in a Vietnamese restaurant knows that this soup is all about the toppings!
On this particular evening I topped my bowl with cilantro, bean sprouts, lime wedges, thinly sliced onions and jalapeño slices but the options are limitless. Try hoisin sauce, Sriracha, Thai basil or any other fresh herb you have on hand. This rich and flavorful Slow Cooker Chicken Pho is going to be your new go-to weeknight dinner recipe!
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pho
- 8 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 inch piece lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 star of anise
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 ounces rice noodles cooked according to package instructions
- 12 ounces shredded cooked chicken breast such as rotisserie
- Optional Toppings: bean sprouts cilantro, jalapeno slices, hoisin sauce, sriracha, thinly sliced onion, lime wedges
- Place the first 11 ingredients in a slow cooker (chicken broth through pepper) and heat on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, pour cooked chicken broth over a large soup pot to remove the lemon peel, cinnamon stick and other spices from the broth; discard remnants.
- To serve, divide noodles evenly between four bowls and top with 3 ounces of cooked chicken in each bowl. Ladle two cups warm chicken broth over each bowl and serve with optional toppings.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Want more delicious Asian-inspired recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!