A fresh and tasty grilled fruit recipe, the pineapple caramelizes as it cooks to create the ultimate fruity salsa recipe for summer.
The weather is slowly but surely starting to warm up here in the midwest which makes me so extremely happy! After the long, cold Michigan winters, I take full advantage of grilling season and will use any excuse to head outdoors to fire up the grill.
My favorite part about this easy grilled pineapple salsa is the caramelized, slightly smoky flavor of the fruit. As the pineapple cooks, the natural sugars begin to caramelize which takes this salsa to the next level.
To balance the sweetness, I toss the pineapple with bright lime juice, fresh cilantro, diced onions and minced jalapeños.
The end result is a perfectly well-rounded sweet, salt, sour and slightly spicy grilled fruit salsa that is irresistible with tortilla chips.
Dig in! No forks required.
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 medium pineapple (trimmed and sliced vertically)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ medium onion (diced)
- ½ cup cilantro (minced)
- 1 jalepeño (diced (remove seeds to keep mild))
- 1 lime (juiced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla chips to serve (optional)
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat.
- Brush both sides of the pineapple slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the pineapple until caramelized on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side, rotating once. Remove from grill and dice into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together diced grilled pineapple with onion, cilantro, jalepeño and lime juice. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips.
Check out my Pinterest board for more grilling recipes!