These quinoa cakes with hummus come together with bright veggies to form a protein-packed appetizer, side or vegetarian main.
What happens when you mix quinoa with veggies and use hummus to bind everything into precious little patties? Magic, my friends– delicious, vegetarian, protein-packed magic. Of course, you could very easily eat the mixture as-is but once the quinoa hits the pan heated with a little olive oil and starts to crisp up, the entire kitchen begins to smell like heaven.
We eat a lot of hummus in our house – my 13 month old can’t get enough of it. We love it with veggies, spread on pita or as a dipper for grilled meat. Store bought is perfectly fine but if you’ve never made your own, I highly urge you to give it a try. Click here for a video of me demonstrating just how easy it is to make!
Your fork is waiting.
Quinoa Cakes With Hummus
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c hummus homemade or store bought
- 1/2 c red pepper minced
- 2 celery stalks minced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- tomato and extra hummus optional garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine quinoa with hummus, red pepper, celery and scallions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat and add olive oil once heated.
- Form quinoa mixture into palm-sized patties and brown in pan, working in batches, about 3-4 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Serve with additional hummus and tomato slices.