A delicious twist on the Italian classic, your family will love this Lemony Basil Pistachio Pesto. Serve on pasta, drizzle over meat or use as a salad dressing!
Summer food is so easy, so flavorful and so healthy! I love everything about it. Every week when I visit my local farmers market I come home with new energy, excitement and inspiration for cooking seasonally.
Of course, you probably already gathered that based on the endless Instagram and SnapChat photos I post whenever I visit the Fulton Street Farmers Market. What can I say? I’m a sucker for Michigan produce!
In addition to all of the fresh fruits and vegetables overflowing each stall at the market, I am also inundated with fresh herbs. Who can resist a gorgeous bunch of fragrant basil? I certainly can’t. As soon as I got home I couldn’t wait to whip up a batch of pesto to stock my freezer.
Traditionally I use pine nuts but this time I decided to give it a fun spin by using pistachios. The sweet and flavorful nuts provide an incredibly rounded flavor that balances perfectly with the sharp cheese, spicy garlic and bright lemon juice.
Spread on corn on the cob, toss into warm pasta or drizzle over grilled meats and fish. Summer is here my friends! Soak it up.
Your fork is waiting.
Basil Pistachio Pesto
- 3 ounces fresh basil (about 2 cups)
- 2 ounces Diamond of California Shelled Pistachios
- 1 ounce grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 juice and zest of lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the first seven ingredients in a high speed food processor and pulse a couple times to start breaking down the pesto.
- With the processor on high speed, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Puree until smooth and creamy.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Out of ideas to use this pesto? Here’s a Satisfying Salads board for inspiration!