This pasta and beans recipe is an easy to make meal that is both favorable and filling. The beans and pasta give you a winning combination of both protein and carbohydrates.
As my little guy nears his first birthday, it is becoming very clear that he is no longer interested in being spoon fed. Instead of mashing up bananas and sweet potatoes, he is much happier picking up little chunks that he can feed himself.
Today’s recipe is the latest answer to my on-going question to create nutritious, well rounded meals that he can feed himself. It meets all of the following criteria:
- Make Ahead: Cook once, eat all week long.
- Adult Friendly: If I don’t want to eat it, I don’t expect my baby to eat it either.
- Protein + Fiber + Whole Grains + Healthy Fats: Beans, whole wheat pasta, veggies and olive oil make this dish a one-stop-shop for well-rounded nutrition.
- Delicious: (See Adult Friendly)
Your family is waiting.
Pasta With Beans And Mixed Vegetables
- 1 c whole wheat pasta such as elbows
- 1 c frozen mixed veggies
- 15 oz can cannelini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salty water to a boil and add whole wheat pasta of choice. About a minute prior to the end of cooking time, add in the frozen veggies.
- Rinse and drain the beans in a mesh strainer over the sink.
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain in the same mesh strainer on top of the beans.
- Add all items back to the pot (pasta, veggies and beans.)
- Drizzle olive oil over the pasta mixture then grate a clove of garlic on top (using a microplane.)
- Add dried oregano and basil (using palm of hand to crush herbs and release oils.)
- Stir in cheese and check for seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.