This pasta and beans recipe is an easy to make meal that is both favorable and filling. The beans and pasta give you a winning combination of both protein and carbohydrates.
As my little guy nears his first birthday, it is becoming very clear that he is no longer interested in being spoon-fed. Instead of mashing up bananas and sweet potatoes, he is much happier picking up little chunks that he can feed himself.
Today’s recipe is the latest answer to my on-going question to create nutritious, well rounded meals that he can feed himself. It meets all of the following criteria:
- Make Ahead: Cook once, eat all week long.
- Adult Friendly: If I don’t want to eat it, I don’t expect my baby to eat it either.
- Protein + Fiber + Whole Grains + Healthy Fats: Beans, whole wheat pasta, veggies and olive oil make this dish a one-stop-shop for well-rounded nutrition.
- Delicious: (See Adult Friendly)
Your family is waiting.
Pasta With Beans And Mixed Vegetables
- 1 c whole wheat pasta such as elbows
- 1 c frozen mixed veggies
- 15 oz can cannelini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ c parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salty water to a boil and add whole wheat pasta of choice. About a minute prior to the end of cooking time, add in the frozen veggies.
- Rinse and drain the beans in a mesh strainer over the sink.
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain in the same mesh strainer on top of the beans.
- Add all items back to the pot (pasta, veggies and beans.)
- Drizzle olive oil over the pasta mixture then grate a clove of garlic on top (using a microplane.)
- Add dried oregano and basil (using palm of hand to crush herbs and release oils.)
- Stir in cheese and check for seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.