Change up your favorite side dish recipe with these simple and delicious roasted green beans topped with crumbled bacon.
If you think you have picky eaters in your house, I’d love to suggest two simple tips when it comes to serving vegetables: 1) try roasting them instead of steaming them and 2) just add bacon.
Roasting vegetables is not only the smarter choice nutritionally but it always results in a more flavorful end-result. When you roast vegetables, the natural sugars begin to caramelize which leads to a slightly sweet and tender side dish.
Additionally, when you roast vegetables none of the vitamins or nutrients are lost in the cooking liquid which happens any time you boil vegetables. On top of that, your body needs a bit of fat to absorb the health benefits of vegetables so roasting them in olive oil ensures maximum nutrition.
Last but not least, a little crumbled bacon on top of anything makes everyone happy. Am I right?
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Green Beans and Bacon
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon thinly sliced
- lemon wedges to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place green beans in a resealable plastic bag and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Seal bag, shake well then spread green beans in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast green beans until tender and slightly blistered, about 15-20 minutes, stirring once half-way through.
- While green beans are roasting, fry the bacon in a medium skillet until crispy. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- Spread roasted green beans on a large platter and sprinkle with crumbled, crispy bacon pieces. Serve with lemon wedges.