Crispy roasted pumpkin seeds with easy to follow step by step instructions. You will love this healthy and additctive snack!
In this Post: Everything you need for Easy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
I love fall for so many reasons, but all things pumpkin is definitely a top reason! And with all things pumpkin, that includes pumpkin seeds. Every year growing up, sometime between my birthday and Halloween, my dad would gather me and my sisters to carve pumpkins, and we would always be sure to gather all of those yummy seeds!
Over the years, I’ve perfected the crunchy, savory, addictive snack. Before we get started there are some key tips you should keep in mind before starting.
- Heavier pumpkins = more seeds. It’s a labor of love and these crunchy, salty seeds will be eaten in no time so I always suggest getting the heaviest pumpkin you can carry.
- Boil the seeds first to ensure even baking. Since the inside of the pumpkin seed takes longer to cook than the shell, boiling them in a bit of salty water ensures a crispy pumpkin seed that won’t be burnt.
- Season them any way you wish. We grew up tossing them in a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. You can use just salt and pepper or kick them up a notch with curry powder and cayenne. The options are endless.
How to Prepare and Roast Pumpkin Seeds In Steps
20 minutes prep 20 bake 40 minutes
Cut the top
Start by cutting the top off of your pumpkin with a hole big enough your hand can fit through.
Clean the seeds
Then rinse all of goop and strings off of your pumpkin seeds using the colander.
Prepare Boiling Water
Add your pumpkin seeds to a bowl of salted boiled water, and boil for about 10 minutes before draining.
Drizzle with EVOO
After letting the pumpkin seeds dry naturally or patting them all dry with a paper towel, add them to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
Add Spices (optional)
Season with your favorite spices, my go to is salt, garlic powder, and cayenne. You could also do sweet and savory by adding some cinnamon, or up the spice by adding chili powder or cumin. I also like to add a bit of worcestershire sauce. Toss until seeds are evenly coated.
Prepare for the oven
Spread your pumpkin seeds evenly onto a prepared baking sheet. Toss in the oven at 350 and roast until crispy, about 15 minutes.
Remove from oven
Take out of the oven and let cool, then munch, crunch, and enjoy! Now you know how to roast pumpkin seeds.
- Seeds From One Large Pumpkin
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne (optional)
- Cookie Sheet
Materials: Water Garlic Powder EVOO Worcestershire Sauce Cayenne (optional)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Should you air-dry pumpkin seeds before roasting?
You can, but you don’t need to. Drying them with a paper towel does the trick.
Are pumpkin seeds good for you?
Yes! They are a good source of fiber and other minerals.
Is it safe to eat pumpkin seeds whole?
Yes it is! You can also shell them, but it’s not necessary.
How long can pumpkin seeds be stored for after roasting?
Up to 7 days in an airtight container at room temp.
More pumpkin recipes:
- Healthy Baked Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Pie Chia Seed Pudding
- Thai Curry and Coconut Pumpkin Soup
- Healthy Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
Did you try this method and recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your snack.
If pumpkin carving is a Halloween tradition for you, then don’t waste the opportunity to also make this delicious snack, especially now that you know how to roast pumpkin seeds.
No forks required.
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a small pot of salty water to a boil and add pumpkin seeds. Boil for 9-10 minutes then drain. Carefully pat pumpkin seeds with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients (olive oil through cayenne). Add pumpkin seeds to the bowl and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread seeds in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Roast in the oven until crispy, 15-20 minutes depending on oven.