This fresh and fast 10 minute vegetarian side dish recipe is made with asparagus sauteed with onions, garlic and curry spices.
Asparagus season in Michigan is one of my most favorite times of the year. An indication that the snow is finally gone for good (knock on wood!) and farmers market season has arrived!
Recently I swung by my local farmers market to grab two pounds of fresh asparagus which I planned to use for both grilling and sautéing. Versatile, quick cooking and packed with nutrients, having asparagus on hand in the refrigerator means I’m never more than 10 minutes from a flavorful and delicious veggie side dish recipe.
I always have curry powder on hand so I decided to caramelize onions and garlic before sprinkling with a little curry powder. By heating the spices in the hot oil for a few seconds the spices are able to bloom and fully release their flavors.
Next, I toss in the asparagus and quickly sauté until bright green and crisp-tender.
Remove it from the heat when it’s bright green and crisp-tender. If it starts to brown, you’ve overcooked it. (The same is true for broccoli and spinach btw!)
Your fork is waiting.
Sautéed Asparagus with Indian Curry Spices
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed, cut in 2-inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil to the hot skillet along with garlic and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and saute until onions are trasluscent and starting to caramelize, about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in curry powder and heat until flavors start to release, about 30 seconds, before stirrin in the asparagus. Saute until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes, stirring freuquently. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.