Ready in less time than it takes to order take-out, you will love this fast and easy shrimp and soba noodle bowl served with a fragrant ginger broth.
We could pretend that the record-cold temperatures we’ve been having are the cause for my Asian noodle soup cravings but let’s be real: I’m up for a slurp fest any time of year – even when it’s 90 degrees outside.
There is something so comforting and satisfying about a warm bowl of ginger-infused chicken broth flavored with rice vinegar, soy sauce and chili paste. I can’t get enough of it and eat a different version of Asian noodle soup almost weekly.
Most recently, I created this Shrimp and Soba Noodle bowl using beautiful frozen shrimp from Omaha Steaks. I will be partnering with them in the coming months to create new recipes for SteakBytes, their recipe blog, but will always share them here on The Lemon Bowl as well.
For a spicy kick, I love topping these bowls with thinly sliced jalapeños. If you don’t like super spicy food, another trick I learned from my sister is to infuse the broth with the jalapeño slices for 1-2 minutes then remove the peppers before eating.
Your chop sticks are waiting.
Soba Noodles and Shrimp in Gingered Broth
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 inch piece ginger root (peeled and minced)
- 1 bunch scallions (thinly sliced whites and greens divided)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste (optional)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 12 ounce package Omaha Steaks Wild White Shrimp – frozen
- slice cilantro and jalapeno (optional garnish)
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions and divide noodles evenly between 4 soup bowls; set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat sesame oil over medium and stir in ginger, scallion whites, garlic and chili paste. Heat until fragrant, 30-60 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add chicken broth, soy and rice vinegar to the pan and stir well. Increase heat to high and bring broth to a low boil.
- Stir in entire package of Wild White Shrimp and heat until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, ladle broth and shrimp over reserved bowls of soba noodles. Garnish with scallion greens, cilantro and jalapeno slices to serve.
I added the soy sauce and rice vinegar with the broth, was that correct?
That gingered broth sounds pretty dreamy! I’m sure it would make any soup extra delicious!
I bet the broth would be great to poach fish in to serve instead of shrimp! I am planning on making this for my best friend’s birthday, she loves ginger
That’s an awesome idea!
Soba’s one of those dried goods that I always keep stocked in my pantry! I love them in a soup or cold (tossed with a bit of soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil). Love that this is steeped in flavorful broth!
I love the idea of eating them cold – I need to do that more often!!
So yummy and love how you describe it as a slurp fest! :)
haha it’s the best way to describe it!
This soup sounds wonderful. I’d have to do it with chicken to get my husband to eat it – he doesn’t like shrimp.
Congrats on partnering with Omaha Steaks. I really appreciate that you will share the recipes you do for them on your blog – can’t tell you how much I hate having to go to yet another page for a recipe that doesn’t print well…
This would be great with chicken! We make it that way quite often.
Oh yummy!! I love shrimp!
I am drooling over this dish! Love the ginger broth!!
Noodles in broth are the ultimate comfort food :) Whenever I’m sick I get Japanese! It’s so warming and simple and delicious!
They really are the ultimate comfort food!!!
Mmmmm! Wish I had a bowl of this right now!
This looks wonderful. That shrimp! That broth!!
We were in shorts yesterday and cleaning our pool! And I still made chili for dinner. Ha. Hey, the body wants what the body wants. And now I want this soup.
Yes seriously!! It’s actually warm here today and I just had soup again. I can’t stop!
I make something similar to this for my family…”When can we have soba noodle soup again, Mum?” and it always warms us to our toes. I love the addition of shrimp.
I can’t wait for Asher to make those requests!! So far he just keeps asking to bake cupcakes..
I’ll join you for soup on a 90-degree day ANYDAY. This looks delicious!! (And love that broth!)
Oh yum! That ginger broth sounds absolutely incredible! I bet the shrimp make a great pairing for this. Looks delicious :)
I love it because I almost always have all the ingredients on hand. :)
Soba noodles love. Gingered Broth??????!!!!!!!!!!! I die.
I knew you’d love this #SlurpCharts recipe!