Ready in less time than it takes to order take-out, you will love this fast and easy shrimp and soba noodle bowl served with a fragrant ginger broth.
We could pretend that the record-cold temperatures we’ve been having are the cause for my Asian noodle soup cravings but let’s be real: I’m up for a slurp fest any time of year – even when it’s 90 degrees outside.
There is something so comforting and satisfying about a warm bowl of ginger-infused chicken broth flavored with rice vinegar, soy sauce and chili paste. I can’t get enough of it and eat a different version of Asian noodle soup almost weekly.
Most recently, I created this Shrimp and Soba Noodle bowl using beautiful frozen shrimp from Omaha Steaks. I will be partnering with them in the coming months to create new recipes for SteakBytes, their recipe blog, but will always share them here on The Lemon Bowl as well.
For a spicy kick, I love topping these bowls with thinly sliced jalapeños. If you don’t like super spicy food, another trick I learned from my sister is to infuse the broth with the jalapeño slices for 1-2 minutes then remove the peppers before eating.
Your chop sticks are waiting.
Soba Noodles and Shrimp in Gingered Broth
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 inch piece ginger root peeled and minced
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced whites and greens divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste optional
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 12 ounce package Omaha Steaks Wild White Shrimp – frozen
- slice cilantro and jalapeno optional garnish
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions and divide noodles evenly between 4 soup bowls; set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat sesame oil over medium and stir in ginger, scallion whites, garlic and chili paste. Heat until fragrant, 30-60 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add chicken broth, soy and rice vinegar to the pan and stir well. Increase heat to high and bring broth to a low boil.
- Stir in entire package of Wild White Shrimp and heat until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, ladle broth and shrimp over reserved bowls of soba noodles. Garnish with scallion greens, cilantro and jalapeno slices to serve.