Bright, refreshing, and effervescent, this skinny grapefruit margarita is the ultimate guilt-free, low calorie and low carb cocktail recipe.
In this Post: Everything you need for Skinny Grapefruit Margarita
What I love most about margaritas is how versatile they are! With recipes like Skinny Orange Margarita Cocktails, Frozen Blood Orange Margaritas, and Spicy Jalapeño Margaritas, there seems to be a variation for every season and event. However, during the colder months, I find myself straying from traditionally sweet drinks.
So, wanting to add a bit of tartness to my cocktail and in an effort to use in-season produce, I created these Skinny Grapefruit Margaritas! Made with five simple ingredients and low in sugar and calories, they’re the perfect way to treat yourself without breaking your calorie bank.
To make this recipe, start by moistening the rim of your glasses with a lime wedge. Then, pour about ¼ cup of salt or tajín seasoning on a plate. Place the glasses rim down, and gently move them around the plate to coat with the salt. Fill each glass with ice and set aside.
Next, slice the grapefruit and lime, and squeeze the juice. Use a cocktail shaker to combine the tequila, lime juice, grapefruit juice, and ice. Fill the glasses about 2/3 of the way full with mixture. Finally, top each drink off with sparkling water, and enjoy!
How to Pick a Perfect Grapefruit
- Look for grapefruits that are rich in color. You want them to be deep red for more intense flavor.
- Find a grapefruit that feels heavy for its size.
- Find a grapefruit that appears to have fairly thin and smooth skin.
- Pick a grapefruit that gives when squeezed and bounces back quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can grapefruit margaritas be frozen?
Yes! To make frozen Grapefruit margaritas, put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until the desired texture is achieved. You will likely need to add more ice.
Can I use alcohol other than tequila?
While traditional margaritas are made with tequila, it can be substituted for other alcohols such as gin or vodka. Take a look at this guide to find the best substitute for every type of tequila.
Can grapefruit margaritas be stored in the fridge?
Yes, feel free to double the recipe to make a pitcher of margaritas! Simply mix the ingredients and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Why do you salt the rim of margaritas?
Salted rims work to balance the bitter taste of tequila or orange liqueur found in most margarita recipes and enhances the sweet and sour notes of the drink. Its inclusion is intentional to the recipe. In fact, the very first margaritas ever made included a salted rim!
Your glass is waiting.
Skinny Grapefruit Margarita
- 8 ounces silver tequila
- 1 large pink grapefruit (juiced)
- 4 ounces lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- sparkling water (any flavor such as lime or grapefruit)
- salt, lime wedges (optional garnish)
- To rim the glasses, gently moisten the rim of four glasses with a lime wedge. Pour about ¼ cup of salt on a plate then gently move the moistened rim around to coat with the salt. Fill each glass with ice then set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, mix together tequila, lime juice and grapefruit juice with ice. Shake well then pour mixture over four glasses, about ⅔ full. Top each glass with sparkling water to serve.