This post is created with America’s Dairy Farm Families and Importers, in partnership with the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. However, the views and opinions included are my own.
This flavorful Mexican-inspired Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada soup is packed with juicy chicken and hearty vegetables then topped with sharp cheddar cheese and a Greek yogurt lime crema. This post is created with America’s Dairy Farm Families and Importers, in partnership with the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, however the views and opinions included are my own.
Ready or not, fall is right around the corner! I don’t know about you but I couldn’t be more thrilled if I tried. Cooler temps, trips to the apple orchard, fall foliage – you name it, I embrace it.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup has everything you love about the traditional tex-mex dish (like plenty of delicious cheesy goodness!) but happens to also be packed with plenty of hearty vegetables, juicy white meat chicken and warm spices. I love to add yogurt as a garnish to soups because it adds richness and complements the spices in the soup.
As we head into fall and the harvest season, I can’t help but start to think about all of the upcoming family celebrations we have going on in our house. Between my oldest son’s 6th birthday, our 12th wedding anniversary, my birthday and more – the fall is a busy time for our family!
Whether you’re feeding one or feeding a crowd, this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is the ultimate make-ahead dish. When it’s time to serve, I like to set out a buffet of toppings for people to help themselves including my tangy lime crema made with Greek yogurt, an excellent source of protein. Other great toppings including avocado, scallions, cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, tortilla chips and more. A lot of people don’t think yogurt or other dairy products like shredded cheese in this recipe are local, but it is. In fact, most people live within 100 miles of a dairy farm.
Pro Tip: This soup is very freezer friendly and makes a great gift for a new mom, a family in need or for stocking your own freezer for a busy day in the future.
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese shredded - garnish
- diced avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips optional garnishes
- 1 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the first 15 ingredients (chicken through chicken broth) in a slow cooke and cook on High for 4 hours of Low for 8 hours.
- While the soup is cooking, mix together the lime crema in a small bowl and refrigerate until you're ready to serve the soup.
- Before service, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Cut into large chunks then return to the slow cooker.
- Serve soup in bowls and garnish with lime crema and chided cheese as well as any other desired garnishes.