Perfect for busy weeknights, this Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup is bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients.
Looking for a new slow cooker recipe? This slow cooker dish is naturally gluten-free, full of protein, and extremely satisfying. My Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup is actually a twist on one of my long time favorites: Slow Cooked Tuscan Chicken and Beans. Like most slow cooker meals, it is perfect for a busy mom who may only have a few moments to think about dinner, but needs a hearty and healthy meal more than anyone!
How to Make Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup
Start your Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup by preparing all the produce. Dice your onion, zucchini, and red pepper, and chop your kale.
Then drain and rinse your cannellini beans, and add them to your slow cooker.
Followed by the can of diced tomatoes, not drained.
Then add the diced red bell pepper.
And the diced zucchini.
Next add cubed chicken breast, and season with salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and garlic powder.
Then for a bit of spice, add red chili flakes. Add more or less depending on your heat preference.
Stir it all together to help it cook evenly.
Then place the chopped kale on top, and season with additional salt and pepper.
Finish with the chicken broth before placing the lid on the pot.
Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Serve garnished with fresh parsley, and enjoy your Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup!
- Make it vegetarian or vegan. Instead of chicken, use a hearty, meaty vegetable like mushrooms or butternut squash.
- Switch out the greens. Use what you have! Spinach, chard, or whatever you like.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can frozen vegetables be substituted for fresh?
For some ingredients, yes you could. It would be okay to use frozen kale and onion, but would only use fresh zucchini and red pepper.
Can you make this soup in a pressure cooker?
Yes! To make this soup in something like an Instant Pot, follow the instructions of adding all ingredients to the pot. Then seal the lid, press pressure cook on high pressure, and set the time for 25 minutes.
Is it OK to put raw chicken in slow cooker?
Yes! Chicken can be added in raw; it will cook in the slow cooker with the rest of the soup.
How do you store leftovers?
Keep leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More Slow Cooker Meals
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Beef and Eggplant
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
Did you try this soup? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
One last tip for my Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup – or whenever you slow cook food – I recommend garnishing with fresh herbs before serving. It brightens up the dish and adds a much needed fresh flavor to round out the meal.
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 zucchini (diced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 15 ounces cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- 2 cups kale (chopped)
- 6 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (or black pepper)
- fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- Place all ingredients except for the fresh parsley in a slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.