Perfect for busy weeknights, this Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup is bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients.
Fun Fact: I have never used my slow cooker more in my entire life than I have in recent months! Between the 4 feet of snow on the ground and the craziness of caring for a 3 month old and 2 year old all day, slow cooking is a complete lifesaver.
Speaking of caring for little ones, today we are throwing a Surprise Virtual Baby Shower for my dear friend Katie of Katie’s Cucina. I first “met” Katie last year when she invited me to participate in a Google+ Hangout to discuss Tips for Healthy Entertaining. We finally got to meet in person the following month at Food Blog Forum in Orlando and then again at BlogHer Food in Austin! Let me tell you, Katie is a complete gem. She radiates positivity and her passion for good food is evident in every recipe she shares.
The Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup that I created in honor of Katie is actually a twist on one of our long time favorites: Slow Cooked Tuscan Chicken and Beans. It is perfect for a new mom who may only have a few moments to think about dinner but needs a hearty and healthy meal more than anyone!
As I work towards losing the rest of the baby weight, I’ve found that eating leftovers for lunch the next day is not only a huge time saver but a great way to keep my calories in check for the day. This soup is naturally gluten free, full of protein and extremely satisfying. If you prefer soup on the spicier side, double the chili flakes. To keep the dish more mild, use black pepper instead.
One last tip: whenever you slow cook food for many hours, I recommend garnishing with fresh herbs before serving. It brightens up the dish and adds a much needed fresh flavor to round out the meal.
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 15 oz cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz diced tomatoes low sodium
- 2 cups chopped frozen kale
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes or black pepper
- fresh parsley optional garnish
- Place all ingredients except for the fresh parsley in a slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley to serve.