Shredded meat is one of my favorite short cuts in the kitchen. It takes less than 5 minutes to put together and the crock pot does the rest of the work. Leftovers are versatile and often taste better the 2nd and 3rd day. I love this chicken plain but it also makes a tasty taco, quesadilla or salad topping. No chicken on hand? Try it with pork shoulder instead. No light beer? Use a regular beer. Just kidding – chicken broth works fine as well but I highly suggest using a beer for that extra background flavor.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Mix together spices to create a dry rub (cumin through pepper) and coat the chicken evenly with mixture.
- Place in a large glass dish or plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, line the bottom of the crock pot with the onion slices and top with chicken.
- Pour beer on top and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours.)
- Use two forks to shred chicken and serve plain or with BBQ sauce (recipe below.)
- Wisk together all ingredients and pour over shredded chicken. Stir well to heat through while still warm in the crock pot.