Slowly cooked in light beer until it’s fall-apart tender, this sweet and juicy Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken is incredibly versatile and perfect for an easy weeknight dinner option!
Shredded meat is one of my favorite short cuts in the kitchen. It takes less than 5 minutes to put together, and the crock-pot does the rest of the work. This Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken could not be any easier to prepare and is perfect for a busy weeknight. Just set it, and forget it!
Using cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, garlic power and other seasonings, I create the perfect dry rub to coat the chicken. Place it in a plastic bag or glass dish overnight, and it’ll be ready to start slow cooking the next day.
In the morning, I’ll line the slow cooker with thinly sliced onions and place the chicken on top. Finally, I pour in light beer, and let it slowly cook for the next 8 hours.
Once it’s done, simply shred the chicken, and it’s ready to go! It tastes delicious plain, but I love to have it with my homemade BBQ sauce. It’s sweet, tangy and the perfect addition to the chicken.
Frequently asked questions:
Can I substitute the beer?
No light beer? No problem! Use a regular beer. Just kidding – chicken broth works fine as well, but I highly suggest using a beer for that extra background flavor.
How should I serve Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken?
Leftovers are extremely versatile and often taste better the second and third day. Make a large batch, and set yourself up for healthy eating all week long. I love this chicken by itself, but you can also add it to tacos, quesadillas, salads, or a sandwich (it’s perfect for sliders). I love to serve it alongside my Easy Cabbage Coleslaw for a super quick dinner. No chicken on hand? Try it with pork shoulder instead. The options are endless!
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken
- 20 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 12 oz light beer
- *Homemade BBQ Sauce (optional)
- Mix together spices to create a dry rub (cumin through pepper) and coat the chicken evenly with mixture.
- Place in a large glass dish or plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, line the bottom of the crock pot with the onion slices and top with chicken.
- Pour beer on top and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours.)
- Use two forks to shred chicken and serve plain or with BBQ sauce (recipe below.)
Homemade BBQ SauceSave
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced)
- Wisk together all ingredients and pour over shredded chicken. Stir well to heat through while still warm in the crock pot.
Want more healthy recipes? Head over to Pinterest!
Can this dish be frozen and reheated? Looks great but I would be making for two haha Thanks!