Turkey meatballs are slowly cooked in a homemade tomato basil marinara sauce until tender. Made without any breadcrumbs, this meatball recipe is gluten free.
My husband and I recently had our DNA tested and while the results weren’t too entirely surprising, I did discover that I’m 8% Italian/Greek. With a last name like Della Croce, I already knew my husband was Italian but I had no idea I might be too! Needless to say, I’m starting to figure out why our boys can’t seem to get enough pasta these days.
Turkey meatballs have always been a family favorite but recently I’ve started making them in the slow cooker to save time during the busy dinnertime rush. With school back in season, our schedules have never been busier so I love relying on my Crock-Pot slow cooker to help get a healthy dinner on the table.
For the sauce, I simply sauté olive oil with onions and garlic before stirring in whole peeled tomatoes and tomato sauce. If you want to give it an added kick, sprinkle in chili flakes and/or stir in a little dry red wine.
To keep the naturally dry, lean turkey breast moist and flavorful, I add sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, parmesan cheese and minced garlic. As they slowly cook in the marinara sauce they become more and more tender over time.
Speaking of time, if you’re like me and could always use more of it, check out Kroger’s online grocery ordering service: ClickList.
You simply create your list online, select your local store then pick a convenient time for you to pick up your groceries – bagged and ready to go! What’s better than that?
Another great time saver: make a double batch of these slow cooker turkey meatballs and freeze leftovers for a busy day down the road. There is nothing more thrilling than having a healthy, homemade dinner waiting for you in the freezer.
Serve over spaghetti or keep it low carb and serve with zucchini noodles. Or heck, skip the pasta and dunk the tomato sauce with crusty bread. The world is your oyster.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs
Quick Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kroger extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 28 ounces Kroger whole peeled tomatoes
- 29 ounces Kroger tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound Simple Truth Natural Ground Turkey 93% lean
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 pieces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pasta to Serve - Optional
- 1/4 cup basil minced
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet. Add garlic and heat until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir in onions and a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While the onions are sautéing, use a pair of kitchen scissors to carefully cut the whole peeled tomatoes. Pour can into the pan along with the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring sauce to a boil then remove from heat; set aside.
- To prepare the meatballs, place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and use your hands to mix until evenly incorporated. Begin rolling meatballs using a small ice cream scoop and place inside your Crock-Pot slow cooker.
- Cover the meatballs with the marinara sauce and place the lid on the Crock-Pot slow cooker. Heat on Low for 4 hours or High for 2 hours. Garnish with fresh basil before serving over pasta if you wish.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be an ambassador for Kroger. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Check out more healthy slow cooker recipes on my Pinterest board!