This hearty vegetable soup is packed with southwestern flavors including chipotle peppers, fire roasted diced tomatoes and warm cumin.
Soup season is upon us and I’m all for it: versatile, nutritious and affordable – bring on the soup! One reason I love soup so much is because you can cook once and enjoy it for several days or freeze it for another day weeks later.
Additionally, as a mom of two growing boys, I love how easy it is to pack three or more servings of vegetables into every bowl. Case in point: this Southwest Chipotle Vegetable Soup is chock full of carrots, celery, zucchini and our favorite Little Potato Company creamer potatoes.
To keep it mild, simply scrape out the seeds in the chipotle peppers before mincing. Like it spicy? Garnish with jalapeño before serving. We love to add creamy avocado and shredded cabbage for texture as well. Tortilla chips wouldn’t hurt either.. just sayin’.
Your spoon is waiting.
Southwestern Chipotle Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and diced)
- 1 medium zucchini (diced)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 12 Little Potato Company creamer potatoes (quartered or halved)
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- avocado, cilantro, shredded cabbage, jalapeno slices (optional garnish)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and sauté until onions start to sweat, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, carrot and zucchini to the pot and continue to sauté until veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in chipotle peppers, cumin and potatoes.
- Pour tomatoes and broth to the pot and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly before serving with optional garnishes.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Brand Ambassador for The Little Potato Company. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Check out my Pinterest board to see more healthy soup recipes!