A hearty and flavor-packed whole grain salad made with chewy spelt, crunchy apples and sharp cheddar cheese.
This Spelt Salad with Apples, Cheddar, and Scallions is a fun twist on tabbouleh salad, one of my favorite Middle Eastern side dishes. In a nod to my mom and her famous after school snack, I decided to throw in creamy, sharp cheddar cheese and sweet, crunchy apples. The protein from the cheese and fiber from the apples creates a nutritional powerhouse, any time of day.
For a nutty flavor and hearty texture, I swapped out the traditional bulgur wheat with spelt berries. If you’re not familiar with spelt, it’s an ancient grain that originated in the Near East over 8,000 years ago. I love using it because it’s packed with vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber.
For another nutritional boost, I added cubes of sharp cheddar. Not only does the cheese add a rich, creamy note but it provides added calcium, protein and other vitamins. To pull it all together, the salad is tossed with a sharp and tangy garlic mustard vinaigrette that will have you wanting more after each bite.
How to serve:
Can be served warm or cold.
Your fork is waiting.
Spelt Salad with Apples, Cheddar and Scallions
- 1 cup uncooked spelt prepared according to package instructions
- 1 juice of lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cut in bite-sized cubes
- 1 cup diced apples
- ½ cup scallions minced
- ¼ cup parsley minced
- Prepare spelt according to package instructions and place in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper over the bowl and toss well until spelt is evenly coated in vinaigrette.
- Stir in cheese cubes, apples, scallions and parsley. Toss again and check for seasoning before serving.