Asian flavors combine to create an easy chicken dish with spicy soba noodles that you can on the table in less than 30 minutes.
During a recent visit to my favorite local farmer’s market, I picked up a bag of beautiful, bright green English peas. Is it just me or is there something extremely cathartic about trimming, shelling, blanching, and shocking a green pea? Not to mention the fact that peas in a pod are probably my favorite children’s Halloween costume of all time. But, I digress..
As we all know, I love Asian food of every variety. Whilemost sensible people serve fresh English peas simply with butter and salt, I decided to hit them with a bit of heat. To balance it out, there is sweetness from the hoisin, tanginess from the rice vinegar and saltiness from the soy sauce.
I promise to have them with butter before the season is over.
In the meantime, your fork is waiting.
Spicy Soba Noodles With Chicken
- 8 oz soba noodles cooked
- 1 tbs peanut oil or canola
- 8 oz chicken breast – cut in 1/2 in cubes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger minced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 2 c broccoli cut in florets
- 1 c green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 c shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 c scallions garnish
- Prepare soba noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch broccoli and peas (if using fresh) in boiling salty water for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce: hoisin, soy, sesame oil, rice vinegar and chili garlic paste; set aside.
- When broccoli and peas turn bright green, from boiling water and submerge in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. (This keeps veggies bright and crisp, not brown and mushy.) Note: If using frozen peas, simply thaw and skip this step.
- Next, heat oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or deep pan.
- Add cubed chicken breast and cook until browned, about 7-8 minutes; remove from pan and set aside.
- To the hot pan, add onion and cook 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and red pepper; cook additional 2 minutes.
- Add cooked broccoli, peas, mushrooms and reserved chicken breast.
- Pour in sauce and reserved noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Serve with fresh scallions.