Asian flavors combine to create an easy chicken dish with spicy soba noodles that you can on the table in less than 30 minutes.
During a recent visit to my favorite local farmer’s market, I picked up a bag of beautiful, bright green English peas. Is it just me or is there something extremely cathartic about trimming, shelling, blanching, and shocking a green pea? Not to mention the fact that peas in a pod are probably my favorite children’s Halloween costume of all time. But, I digress..
As we all know, I love Asian food of every variety. Whilemost sensible people serve fresh English peas simply with butter and salt, I decided to hit them with a bit of heat. To balance it out, there is sweetness from the hoisin, tanginess from the rice vinegar and saltiness from the soy sauce.
I promise to have them with butter before the season is over.
In the meantime, your fork is waiting.
Spicy Soba Noodles With Chicken
- 8 oz soba noodles (cooked)
- 1 tbs peanut oil (or canola)
- 8 oz chicken breast – cut in 1/2 in cubes
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbs fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 c broccoli (cut in florets)
- 1 c green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ c scallions (garnish)
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce (low sodim)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs chili garlic paste (optional)
- Prepare soba noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch broccoli and peas (if using fresh) in boiling salty water for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce: hoisin, soy, sesame oil, rice vinegar and chili garlic paste; set aside.
- When broccoli and peas turn bright green, from boiling water and submerge in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. (This keeps veggies bright and crisp, not brown and mushy.) Note: If using frozen peas, simply thaw and skip this step.
- Next, heat oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or deep pan.
- Add cubed chicken breast and cook until browned, about 7-8 minutes; remove from pan and set aside.
- To the hot pan, add onion and cook 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and red pepper; cook additional 2 minutes.
- Add cooked broccoli, peas, mushrooms and reserved chicken breast.
- Pour in sauce and reserved noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Serve with fresh scallions.
4 thoughts on “Spicy Soba Noodles With Chicken”
I just finished a bowl of this, and it was so dang yummy I had to let you know! Usually I am much too lazy to comment on blogs but girl, you earned it. I subbed shrimp for chicken and doubled the garlic, and my oh my. I will be looking forward to the leftovers all week. Thanks for the recipe!
I’m new to your site, but I already love it! I jotted down a few recipes the other night and completed this one tonight…success! It was delicious, can’t wait to try more :)
Welcome Leslie!! So glad you found me!! Let me know what else you try!!
This looks very good! It also looks to be Weight Watchers’ Points friendly, so I’m going to enjoy it!!