A hearty and satisfying bowl of steel cut oats are sweetened naturally with juicy strawberries and ripe bananas.
Steel cut oats remind me of my childhood. My mommy made them for us regularly and I always loved the chewy texture and nutty flavor that you simply don’t get from old fashioned oats. Don’t get me wrong, I love my old fashioned oats but every now and again I crave a hearty, satisfying bowl of chewy steel cut oats.
One note: steel cut oats are not nutritionally superior to old fashioned or quick cooking oats. They are simply less processed because they are not rolled flat (into rolled oats) and they are not chopped into smaller, faster cooking pieces like quick-cooking oats. An oat is an oat is an oat.
Have you jumped on the chia seed bandwagon yet? If not, here are a few reasons you should:
- Protein Packed: 20% of the calories from chia seeds are from protein – a much higher amount than most grains such as wheat and rice. Protein takes longer to digest which keeps you fuller longer and gives you lasting energy.
- Boost Brain Function: Chia seeds contain a good dose of EFA’s (essential fatty acids) which have been shown to boost memory and improve concentration.
- Energy Boosting: The word “chia” means strength in the Mayan language which makes sense because the natural combination of protein, fiber and carbohydrates found in chia seeds will give you the fuel you’ll need all day long. This is the reason chia seeds are so popular in the running community.
- Rich in Omega-3’s: We all know that fatty fish like salmon is an excellent source of omega-3’s but what if you’re not a fan? Chia is an excellent alternative and in fact, is the highest plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids!
Your spoon is waiting.
Strawberry Banana Steel Cut Oats with Chia Seeds
- Bring water, salt and cinnamon to a boil then stir in steel cut oats. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Five minutes prior to the end of cooking time, stir in flax seed meal, chia seeds, chopped walnuts, banana and strawberry slices.
- Cook until liquid is absorbed then divide evenly between four bowls to serve.