Stop buying oatmeal packets and make your own homemade instant oatmeal! As easy as combining oats with your favorite nuts, dried fruit and spices.
Raise your hand if you secretly love maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. (Raises hand.) Raise your hand if you are hungry 30 minutes after consuming said packet of instant oatmeal. (Raises hand.)
Making your own instant oatmeal is as easy as combining oats with your favorite dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar and spices.
Here are a few tricks to making it extra special so that your family will gobble it up:
Secrets to adding flavor to oatmeal:
1) Toast The Nuts: By popping the chopped walnuts and almonds in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, the natural oils are released and the end result is a warm, nutty and toasted flavor that you wouldn’t get using raw nuts.
2) Add Fruit. I love raisins, don’t get me wrong. But why not give a shout out to your other favorite dried fruits? Apricots, cranberries, cherries, dates, figs… go crazy with your dried-fruit-loving self.
3) Sneak in Nutrition: Flax seed meal and toasted wheat germ does a body good and I guarantee your children will not notice it’s in there. I do guarantee their bodies will appreciate the omega-3’s, zinc, protein, B vitamins, fiber and other goodies.
Make Your Own Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spread chopped nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast nuts for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combing all ingredients including toasted nuts. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.
- To serve: scoop out 1 cup of the oatmeal mixture and place in a bowl with 1/2 cup water or milk. Microwave for 90 seconds or until liquid is absorbed.