Avoid the grocery store and make your own oatmeal instant oatmeal! This recipe is as easy as combining oats with your favorite nuts, fruit and spices.
Raise your hand if you secretly love maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. (Raises hand.) Raise your hand if you are hungry 30 minutes after consuming said packet of instant oatmeal. (Raises hand.)
Making your own instant oatmeal is as easy as combining oats with your favorite dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar and spices.
Here are a few tricks to making it extra special so that your family will gobble it up:
How to add flavor to oatmeal:
- Toast The Nuts: By popping the chopped walnuts and almonds in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes, the natural oils are released and the end result is a warm, nutty and toasted flavor that you wouldn’t get using raw nuts.
- Add Fruit. I love raisins, don’t get me wrong. But why not give a shout out to your other favorite dried fruits? Apricots, cranberries, cherries, dates, figs… go crazy with your dried-fruit-loving self.
- Sneak in Nutrition: Flaxseed meal and toasted wheat germ do a body good and I guarantee your children will not notice it’s in there. I do guarantee their bodies will appreciate the omega-3’s, zinc, protein, B vitamins, fiber, and other goodies.
How to make oatmeal savory:
Use sage, golden raisins, less sugar, and perhaps buttery toasted pinon nuts. Look at Middle Eastern and Moroccan style spices mixtures for savory-sweet oatmeal.
How to cool down hot oatmeal for kids:
Mix in a fruit like frozen blueberries to cool it down.
Make Your Own Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spread chopped nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast nuts for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including toasted nuts. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.
- To serve: scoop out 1 cup of the oatmeal mixture and place it in a bowl with 1/2 cup water or milk. Microwave for 90 seconds or until liquid is absorbed.