A quick and easy stir-fry recipe, Thai Basil Shrimp is full of flavor and ready in just 15 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights!
My four year old loves shrimp. He literally can’t get enough of it and orders it every time we go out to eat. Lucky for me, shrimp is not only an excellent source of lean protein but it is extremely fast cooking!
Since buying fresh seafood isn’t always realistic, I like to keep a bag in the freezer to pull out on busy weeknights when I don’t know what to make for dinner. This Thai Basil Shrimp Stir-Fry is the result of one such evening. Made with a sweet, tangy and gingery basil sauce, every bite is packed with fresh flavors that transport your tastebuds to Thailand.
We love serving it over brown rice but it’s also great in lettuce cups or wrapped with toasted seaweed sheets. If you don’t have shrimp on hand simply swap out chicken or pork. Either way, dinner will be ready in 15 minutes.
Your chopsticks are waiting.
Thai Basil Shrimp
- 1 pound raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup shredded Thai basil (or Italian basil)
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- Pre-heat a large wok or deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper and spray pan with cooking spray. Saute shrimp until they turn pink, turning once, about 90 seconds per side. Be careful not to overcook. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- To the hot wok, at the bell peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the next six ingredients (soy sauce through chili paste) and pour into the pan with the peppers. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the shrimp back to the pan and saute until warmed through, about 60 seconds. Remove from heat and sprinkle with lime juice, basil and scallions before serving.