Bright and fragrant, this Thai Green Curry Chicken and Asparagus stir-fry recipe is easy to make and comes together in less than 20 minutes. The ultimate fast dinner recipe!
Recently I was in the ethnic aisle of a Kroger store and overheard someone trying to find the fish sauce. Like any good Asian-food-obsessed-blogger, I immediately jumped in and pointed it out to him.
Within seconds, he was asking me what fish sauce was and if it was really worth purchasing. Yes, yes and yes. One word: umami. Fish sauce adds a pungent background flavor to any stir-fry that perfectly compliments the salty soy sauce, tangy lime juice and fragrant ginger.
Of course, I had to ask what they planned to make with the fish sauce and he said Thai green curry! A huge fan of curry myself, I make my Indian-inspired Slow Cooker Chicken Curry all the time but never think to make Thai green curry.
The secret to this fast and easy stir-fry recipe is the green curry sauce made with coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, fish sauce and Thai green curry paste. By always keeping a well-stocked Asian pantry, this fast dinner recipe is always within reach.
Asparagus is in season right now and I always have chicken on hand but feel free to use shrimp, pork or tofu with any veggies you have on hand.
Your chop sticks are waiting.
Thai Green Curry Chicken with Asparagus
- 16 ounces chicken breasts, boneless skinless cut in cubes
- 12 spears asparagus cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk light
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste optional
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- brown rice to serve optional
- cilantro, scallions optional garnish
- Pre-heat a large wok or skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan. Saute until brown, about 7-9 minutes; remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same hot skillet, add the asparagus and saute until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- While the asparagus is cooking, whisk together all remaining ingredients (coconut milk through curry paste) in a small bowl.
- Add the chicken back to the hot pan and pour in the sauce. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer curry for 7-9 minutes before serving over rice. Garnish with cilantro and scallions if you wish.