A healthy spin on the Chinese takeout classic, this vegetable fried rice is made with riced cauliflower then seasoned toasted sesame oil and fragrant ginger.
Keeping a well-stocked freezer is one of my best tips for healthy eating. Lately I’ve been obsessed with riced cauliflower which you can now find in almost every freezer section. Affordable, versatile and nutritious – I love transforming riced cauliflower into Chinese fried “rice”.
Cauliflower can be a bit bland on its own so I love using Asian pantry staples like toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar to maximize flavor. Fresh ginger, garlic and scallions tie everything together.
For this particular version I kept it vegetarian but we also love making it with shrimp, chicken, pork – you name it! The glory of this recipe is the fact that you can make it with just about any protein and vegetables you have on hand.
It’s a great way to use up leftovers at the end of a week and is way healthier than anything you’ll find on a Chinese takeout menu.
Your chopsticks are waiting.
Cauliflower Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste optional
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 6 cups riced cauliflower fresh or frozen
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup scallions minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat sesame oil in a large, deep pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and chili paste to the pan until fragrant, about 30 seconds, before adding in the carrots. Sauté carrots until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in riced cauliflower to the pan and cook until it starts to brown slightly, about 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add peas, corn, soy sauce and rice vinegar to the pan and saute until warmed through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Form a little hole in the center of the pan by pushing the vegetables off to the side. Spray area with cooking spray then crack egg directly over the hole. Using a wooden spoon, slowly begin to scramble the egg until cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Add scallions to the pan and stir until evenly incorporated. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Check out these other fried rice based recipes:
Check out my Pinterest board for more side dish recipes!