Fresh rolls with BBQ pork meatballs are the perfect balance of spicy, salty, sweet and sour. You won’t believe how easy they are to make at home!
If you’ve never made fresh rolls at home, I urge you to give it a try. They might look intimidating but they are actually quite easy and many versions are completely no-cook thanks for pre-cooked shrimp and lots of fresh veggies.
As I’ve mentioned many times, my family grew up eating Vietnamese food at Mr. Lee’s restaurant here in West Michigan. Sadly, Mr. Lee closed up shop many moons ago but I will forever be grateful for the fresh roll platter appetizer that allowed us to roll our own fresh rolls at the table.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the pre-rolled versions served at many Asian restaurants but there is something really fun about dipping that rice paper wrapper into the warm water and filling the roll with your favorite meats, seafood, vegetables, noodles, and herbs.
No fork required.
Fresh Rolls with BBQ Pork Meatballs
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 2 oz vermicelli rice noodles
- 24 in BBQ pork meatballs cooked and sliced half (recipe below)
- 12 leaves inner lettuce
- ½ cup thinly sliced cucumbers
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup fresh herbs (cilantro mint or basil)
BBQ Pork Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together pork meatballs (ground pork through pepper) and shape into evenly sized small meatballs.
- Heat grill or broiler on high heat and cook meatballs about 4 minutes per side or until nicely browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- Boil 8 cups of water and keep warm.
- Whisk together dipping sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place vermicelli noodles in a glass bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes then drain with cool water; set aside.
- Begin creating an assembly line with the noodles, lettuce, cucumber slices, shredded carrots, halved meatballs and fresh herbs.
- To soften the rice paper, fill a shallow pie plate or cake pan with boiling water. Add one rice paper at a time and soak for 5 seconds then move to a plate to fill and roll.
- Working from the center of the roll, place a lettuce leaf and top with fresh herbs, noodles, carrots, cucumber add three meatball halves.
- Fold in the sides then bring bottom over the filling and tuck while rolling tightly.
- Place on a platter and continue rolling remaining 11 sheets.
- Serve with dipping sauce on the side.