Protein-packed black beans pair with chewy, nutty barley to create a satisfying and delicious salad or meatless main dish.
The best part of the indulgent holiday season is that after a few days of eating heavy, traditional foods we all crave clean, nourishing, whole foods. To save precious time, I have a trick up my sleeve: once a week, I make a large batch of whole grains in my rice cooker and store it in the refridgerator to use throughout the week.
The rice cooker is your secret weapon when it comes to cooking whole grains, especially those with longer cooking times such as the Bob’s Red Mill whole hull-less barley used in this recipe. Quinoa, farro, brown rice, steel cut oats…. you name it, I am cooking it.
No rice cooker? No problem! Whip up a double batch when you have a little extra time and keep it in the fridge to stir into soups, sprinkle on salads or eat with a dollop of plain yogurt as side dish.
My Black Bean and Barley Salad is perfect on it’s own but even better scooped up with one of my Smoky Baked Corn Tortilla Chips.
Your chip is waiting.
- 1 cup barley - prepared (such as Bob's Red Mill Whole Hull-Less)
- 15 oz can Bush's black beans - rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 2 celery stalks - diced
- 2 scallions - minced
- 4 radishes - thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro - minced
- 1 garlic clove - grated
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- smoky baked corn tortilla chips to serve (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Serve with broken baked corn tortilla chips on top.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post but I did receive free products from Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all thoughts are my own.