A healthy version of the chips you buy at the store, corn tortillas are baked with olive oil and spices to create a healthy version of this addictive snack chip.
Recently I received a text message from my college BFF in Boston asking (begging) for healthy recipes “of the chip nature.” Can you tell this gal works at Harvard? Even her requests for a salty snack are fancy.
Baked tortilla chips couldn’t be any easier and more versatile to make. I love seasoning them with smoked paprika and cumin but feel free to get creative. Turn up the heat with cayenne or keep it mellow with garlic powder.
While traditionally high in fat and calories (an oh-so-addictive), my healthier baked corn tortilla chips are just a little over 100 calories per serving.
What kind of friend would I be if I shared my pico de gallo recipe without telling you how to make those crispy chips I served alongside? Don’t worry – I wouldn’t leave you hanging like that!
Your friends are waiting.
Preventing soggy chips:
If you want to ensure your tortilla chips won’t be soggy, they must be laid out in an even layer in the oven to prevent steaming. Otherwise, they will not crisp up.
Up to 4 days in an airtight container.
To make them sweeter you could use cinnamon sugar. For a spicy kick, I would add ancho chili powder.
If you don’t have the time to source corn or flour tortillas then store-bought tortilla chips will work fine. Additionally, you can use flour tortillas but they will cook faster. You’ll need to keep an eye on them when cooking
Dips to pair with:
Baked Corn Tortilla Chips
- Pizza Cutter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with foil.
- Using a pizza slicer, cut tortillas into 8 triangles by cutting in quarters then eighths; place in a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and spices over tortilla triangles and mix well so all tortillas are evenly coated in oil and spices. Don't be afraid to use your hands!
- Divide tortillas evenly between both baking sheets and spread out so that they are in an even layer.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until browned. (Varies based on oven.)
- Store in air tight container for up to 4 days.