Chia seeds are packed in protein and add crunchy texture to this fresh and tasty smoothie.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that my family is a bit smoothie crazy. In fact, every morning I am on a quest to create the best smoothie I’ve ever made – better than the one I drank the day before. My two latest discoveries: add more fresh ginger than you think you’ll need and throw in a spoonful of chia seeds.
Why ginger? Fresh ginger is not only a natural digestive aid but it also balances out the fruity flavors. The unmistakable bite of fresh ginger is just the thing to wake your taste buds in the morning. And in case you haven’t jumped on the chia bandwagon, they are packed with protein and a whole host of other health benefits. But mostly I just love the added crunch.
If you have leafy greens on hand, go ahead and throw those in as well! We love baby spinach and fresh parsley. Celery and cucumber are tasty as well.
Your straw is waiting.
- 1 cup berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk - vanilla unsweetened (or milk of choice)
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root (about 1 inch piece)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- handful ice
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl