Tart apples, crunchy radishes and a sweet and spicy vinaigrette all come together to create a healthy and refreshing slaw recipe perfect for BBQ season.I don’t want to jinx myself but I think it is safe to say that grilling season has finally arrived! After a ridiculously long winter, I am thrilled to be reunited with warm breezes and the sweet smell of dinner cooking on the grill. Radish season has not quite begun here so I was pretty excited when my friends at Dandy Produce asked me to create a recipe with their crunchy and delicious Radish MiniSticks.
Does your family enjoy radishes? Not only do they add great texture and crunch to many dishes but they are loaded in heath benefits including:
- Detoxification: Radishes help naturally detox the body removing fat from the liver and detoxifying the bloodstream.
- Regulate Blood Pressure: Potassium from radishes helps naturally regulate blood pressure.
- Low Calorie: 7 radishes only contain 15 calories but their high water content helps you feel full (similar to watermelon minus the natural sugars.) Great for munching with hummus or other dips.
- Boost Heart Health: Antioxidants found in radishes lower the risk of heart disease and heart attack by reducing cholesterol.
Whether we are firing up turkey burgers, marinated pork chops or chicken souvlaki, I love creating simple and easy dishes to go alongside. Apple Radish Slaw with Honey Lime Jalapeño Vinaigrette delivers a delicate balance of salty sweet with just the right amount of heat. It is a simple, no-cook side dish that goes perfectly with anything from fish tacos to marinated flank steak to simple grilled chicken breasts.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 granny smith apple - sliced in matchsticks
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- ½ cup Dandy radish ministicks (or 14 radishes cut in matchsticks)
- ½ cup scallions - diced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño
- 1 clove garlic - grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint - minced
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette.
- Add slaw ingredients to the bowl (apples, carrots, radishes and scallions). Toss well and check for seasoning before serving. Adjust accordingly and serve.
Disclaimer: I was hired by Dandy Produce to create a recipe using their Radish MiniSticks. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.