A lightened version of a Greek classic, this egg lemon soup is packed with comfort, not calories.
Greek food is one of my favorite cuisines from around the world. Of course, given that most dishes involve lemon juice, garlic and olive oil that probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise to you. With an emphasis on fresh herbs, clean flavors and heart-healthy ingredients like yogurt and walnuts, Greek food is a perfect example of healthy made delicious.
Growing up just 3 hours from Chicago, home to one of the nation’s largest Greek populations, I have had countless opportunities to dine on some of the best Greek food around. In college, I had the pleasure of traveling to Athens, Greece with a few of my classmates. The atmosphere and the food was everything you would expect and more. Salty cheeses, briny olives, juicy lemons, fragrant herbs… it was heaven.
In lieu of traveling to Greece this winter, I decided to create a light and healthy version of avgolemono soup which literally translates to “egg lemon” soup. Restaurant versions typically use triple the amount of eggs and thicken the broth with a heavy roux full of butter and white flour. You’ll be pleased to learn that my version is completely dairy, gluten free and requires only 2 eggs.
To save time, I love adding shredded rotisserie chicken towards the end of the cooking process. Not only does it add a ton of flavor but it turns this soup into a hearty, protein-packed entree. Serve it with a Greek salad and dinner is done.
Your spoon is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 4.4 g
- Saturated fat: 1.1 g
- Unsaturated fat: 3.3 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30.7 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 605 mg
- Fiber: .4 g
- Protein: 24.8 g
- Cholesterol: 135 mg
- 6 cups chicken broth – low sodium
- ¾ cups uncooked white rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 eggs – whisked in a small bowl
- 8 oz cooked chicken breast – shredded (rotisserie works well)
- thinly sliced scallions – optional garnish
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add rice, salt and pepper and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove one cup of the broth from the pot and pour into a medium bowl. Add corn starch and whisk until dissolved. Pour in lemon juice and whisk once more.
- To temper the eggs, slowly add the whisked eggs to the broth/cornstarch/lemon juice mixture. Whisk constantly so that the eggs gradually come to temperature. Continue until all of the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Pour the warmed egg/broth mixture back into the large soup pot and stir until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken breasts and cook until heated through. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve with sliced scallions if you wish.