Moist chicken seasoned with delicious Greek flavors such as garlic, lemon, coriander, and oregano, and garnished with fresh herbs.
Chicken is quick, it’s cheap, and it’s easily accessible. It’s also a healthy protein, so it’s a frequent player on our dinner table. If chicken is a common ingredient in your house, you may be looking for a new way to spice it up. Eating the same flavors every night is no fun for anyone, but my Greek Style Baked Chicken Breasts is a new and delicious way to eat this common protein.
- Chicken breasts: Like mentioned above, easily accessible and affordable, chicken is a a great go-to, healthy protein to keep in your home.
- Garlic: Nutty, aromatic, and full of flavor, garlic is a staple in my kitchen and cooking.
- Lemon zest: Grating the outer layer of the lemon, creating a burst of bright, fresh flavor.
- Dried oregano: Bold and earthy, it’s a common spice in Greek and Italian cooking.
- Coriander: Floral and citrusy in flavor, freshly grinding it adds a sweet, brightness to the mix.
- Sea salt: Derived from sea water, it has a different make-up of nutrients than table salt, making it have a stronger, more pure flavor.
- Cayenne: A moderately hot chili pepper, it adds just a bit of a kick to the dish without making it overtly spicy.
How to Make Greek Style Baked Chicken Breasts
Start your Greek Style Baked Chicken Breasts by making your spice mixture. Freshly grate some garlic into a small bowl.
Then add some sea salt, dried oregano, and the cayenne.
And if you like, a hint of freshly ground pepper.
Using a mortar and pestle, freshly grind your coriander. Or, you can use already ground coriander, but freshly ground packs a little extra punch.
Next, zest a whole lemon into the bowl.
Finish by drizzling in the olive oil and stirring all together.
Next, using a brush or your hands, coat your chicken breasts with the spice mixture and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Pop them in the oven at 350 for around 30 minutes (until the juices run clear).
Once finished, take out of the oven and slice chicken to serve.
Garnish with fresh parsley, toasted pine nuts, or feta cheese. Serve, and enjoy your Greek Style Baked Chicken Breasts!
Change It Up
- Use thighs or bone-in chicken. This spice mixture tastes great with any cut of chicken, use whatever you’ve got!
- Not a spicy fan? If you’re worried at all about the heat levels of the dish, feel free to omit the cayenne.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use skin-on chicken breasts?
Yes of course! However, since we frequently don’t actually eat the skin, gently massage the rub onto the chicken underneath the skin before roasting. This concept is often used for whole roast chicken, so why not try it with split chicken breasts?
How long does it take to cook chicken in the oven?
Depending on the size and thickness of your chicken, your cook time can vary anywhere from 20 minutes all the way up to 45 or 50 minutes. Check regularly for clear juices, or use a meat thermometer and wait until it has reached an internal temp of 165.
How do I store leftover chicken?
Kept in an air-tight container, Greek Style Baked Chicken will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Complimentary Side Dishes:
- Roasted Vegetables Provencal Style
- Za’atar Roasted Carrots and Green Beans
- Lebanese Rice Salad
- Middle Eastern Syrian Salad
- Greek Spinach Rice
Did you try this chicken dish and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
Mediterranean flavors and foods are favorites of mine, and they brighten up any meal. Try for yourself with these Greek Style Baked Chicken Breasts.
Your fork is waiting.
Greek Style Baked Chicken Breasts
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place chicken breasts on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, mix together oil, garlic, lemon zest, oregano, coriander, salt and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Using hands, gently rub the mixture on the chicken breasts.
- Spread mixture on all sides of chicken as well as underneath the skin (if applicable).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until juices run clear.