Lemon juice adds bright, fresh flavor to these decadent buttery shortbread cookies. The salted chocolate drizzle takes each bite to the next level.
There is something so pure and magical about shortbread cookies. Buttery, dense, slightly nutty and just the right amount of salt – they are perfect for dipping into coffee. They also happen to be my mother’s favorite cookie which is why I loved making these recently.
Of course, you know that if I’m cooking with four sticks of butter we must be celebrating a special occasion. In fact, today we are throwing a SURPRISE Virtual Baby Shower for my dear friend Stephanie of Girl Versus Dough hosted by Stephie, Taylor and Stef. (Confused by all the Steph names yet?)
Stephanie and I met in person last year at Camp Blogaway in the mountains of Southern California. She is not only gorgeous and extremely sweet but she is ridiculously talented. In fact, if you love to bake or wish to become a better baker, I highly suggest bookmarking her Baker’s Dozen: Tips & Tricks for Baking.
Don’t worry, this recipe is 100% fool-proof. Let’s be real, if I’m baking you can be sure it’s an easy recipe. Traditional shortbread is always a hit but I couldn’t resist adding a bit of bright flavor from fresh lemon zest. And since I don’t believe in desserts made without chocolate, I had to add a little chocolate and sea salt drizzle on top. You can thank me later.
No forks required this time.
Congratulations Stephanie! Motherhood is the best and I can’t wait to see your beautiful baby girl!
- Serves: 30
- Serving size: 2 cookies
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 25.5 g
- Saturated fat: 16.4 g
- Unsaturated fat: 9.1 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22.4 g
- Sugar: 9.1 g
- Sodium: 39 mg
- Fiber: .5 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 64 mg
- 2 cups unsalted butter - softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- kosher salt for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour ½ cup at a time until mixture starts to form a ball.
- Remove dough from the mixer and gently press into prepared baking sheet. Use your fingers to gently spread the dough throughout most of the pan leaving it about 1 inch thick.
- Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- While shortbread is cooling, place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted, 2-3 minutes, stirring every 45 seconds.
- Once shortbread is completely cooled, slice into strips using a sharp knife or a pizza wheel.
- Place shortbread on a large piece of parchment paper and slowly drizzle the melted chocolate on top using a large spoon. Sprinkle with kosher salt to taste.
- Let cool 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
The chocolate drizzle can be prepared on a double boiler on the stove or in the microwave. I've done it both ways and get the same result each time. The key is to check on the chocolate regularly to avoid burning.
Want more delicious party foods? Check out all of these incredible recipes created for today’s shower!
Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes from Sarcastic Cooking
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Drizzle from Greens & Chocolate
Super Chewy M&M Blondies from The Realistic Nutritionist
Strawberry Cinnamon Twist Knots from A Kitchen Addiction
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream from A Zesty Bite
Blackberry and Mango Curd Pie from Joanne Eats Well With Others
Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins from Garnish with Lemon
Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Susie Freaking Homemaker
Super Simple Sugar Cookies from Espresso and Cream
Raspberry Acai Frozen Margarita from Nutmeg Nanny
Berry Coconut Frozen Yogurt from The Law Student’s Wife
Pretty in Pink Buttercream Cups from Keep it Sweet Desserts
Broccoli Salad with Honey Toasted Walnuts from The Roasted Root
Neapolitan Baked Doughnuts from Climbing Grier Mountain
Giant Pink M&M and Raisinette Cookies from Steph’s Bite by Bite
No-Bake Rhubarb Cheesecake Parfait Cups from Hungry Girl Por Vida
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp from A Cedar Spoon
Freckled Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade from Take a Megabite
Vanilla Anise Cupcakes from Blahnik Baker
Mini Vanilla Bean Layer Cakes from The Baker Chick
Mini Blackberry Hazelnut Meringue Cakes from Eat Your Heart Out