Simple Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary

Roasted beets are easier to make than you think! My simple recipe creates tender, sweet beets with a hint of fresh rosemary and orange in the background.Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary - The Lemon BowlRoasted beets have a special place in my heart. Believe it or not, my very first blog post involved roasted beets: Beets and Wheat Berries Make Me Happy. What can I say? I love beets and I wanted to tell the world.

The truth is, so many people think they hate beets because they’ve only been exposed to bland, lifeless canned or boiled versions.  I challenge anyone who thinks they don’t like beets to try this recipe before making a final decision.

When you roast beets, you allow the natural sugars to caramelize and become sweet. Similar to the mellow flavor of roasted garlic, roasted beets become creamy and delicious with very little effort.

Roasted BeetsFresh orange juice and fragrant rosemary are thrown in the pan along with a little olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt before everything heads into the oven. Then you just sit back and relax while the oven does the work!

Once you have roasted beets on hand, you can turn them into a million and one different recipes. Here are a few to get you started:

Roasted Beets with Edamame and Arugula – Oh My Veggies
Roasted Beet Biscuits – The View from Great Island
Roasted Beet, Arugula, Goat Cheese & Honey Crostini – Gimme Some Oven
Beet-Citrus Salad – An Edible Mosaic
One-Pot Beet, Rosemary & Kale Arborio Rice Pilaf – Cookin’ Canuck
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets – My Whole Food Life
Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce – Bev Cooks

Ready to get started? Your fork is waiting.

Simple Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary

• Serving size: 1 beet
  • Saturated fat: .5 g
  • Unsaturated fat: 3.1 g
  • Carbohydrates: 12.4 g
  • Fiber: 3.2 g
  • Protein: 1.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cook time:
  • 1 bunch beets (4 large or 8 medium)
  • 1 large orange - cut in half
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • large pinch kosher salt and pepper
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line 8 x 8 baking dish with foil.
  2. Wash and trim the greens from the beets but leave the root in-tact as shown in photo.
  3. Place beets in the pan and cover with juice of one orange, rosemary sprigs, olive oil, large pinch kosher salt and a few turns of a black pepper mill.
  4. Leave the orange halves in the pan and cover tightly with foil. Roast for 45 minutes or until beets are fork tender.
  5. Let cool completely before removing foil.
  6. To serve, carefully remove skin with hands (should peel right off) and slice into bite-sized pieces.
Beets will stain your hands red. If you wish, use kitchen gloves to prevent your hands from staining.

Comments

Oooo, I love beets! I’m lazy and get the ones already ready in the produce section, but I’ll try doing my own with your recipe! So healthy and so good :) Happy Monday!

2. Marianna says

I have always roast them with some olive oil rubbed on them and wrapped in foil, but this way sounds much more yummy!!! Will make them this way next time I pick up beets! Love them in my salad with strawberries! Not everyone in the family eats the beets so was wondering how long, after they have been roasted, can you keep them in the fridge?

Beets are one of my favorite things! My husband wont eat them so I have to eat them all! (not complaining) Love the orange added in!

I love beets! But honestly, I mostly juice them. We have great ones at our produce market that are local, it’s time I get back there and pick some up. :)

You know, I’ve never juiced them at home but I love getting beets when I buy a juice!! Let me know if you try roasting them – I love it because I can turn the oven on and forget about them. If you are a little late to take them out, all the better. :) Not that I would know… lol

I was first exposed to beets of the canned variety and it was definitely a bit tragic…I’ve thought I hated them for years and am only now slowly but surely getting into them. Can’t wait to try this roasted beet recipe to aid in the “easing myself in” process.

Hey!

Okay, so I’m a gardener and into all things organic. What are the nutritional benefits of beets again? I know there’s some ailment that beets are awesome for but can’t think what it is on the top of my head. Convince me to plant in my garden…please! I’m afraid of beets too but if I know they’re good for me, I will eat them =)

Another embarrassing question: how do I insert my picture in my post like everyone else has? Thanks!!!

Hi Laura – I’m so jealous!! I do NOT have a green thumb!! But, I can tell you that beets are LOADED with nutritional benefits. They are packed with nutrients including folate, potassium, and fiber. They are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients (which give them their bright color) including beta carotene. They are also anti-inflammatory. Plant them!!! :)

Liz,
    I still think that it’s more like oven braising than roasted (liquid, foil) but heck yeah I love roasted beets. I also love beets with oranges, so the addition of an orange is brilliant in my book.
    Thanks!

You’re totally right! Although I will say, the orange never gives it THAT much juice but yea I think it’s definitely more like braising especially with the foil over it!!